Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expression variability between 2 groups of genes

Hi, I'm analyzing GTEx data (read counts, ~30 patients, one tissue) to check if expression variability is different for 2 groups of genes (I'm interested in one special set on genes). With DESeq2 I estimate dispersion for each gene ("dispGeneEst" in DESeq2) that represents variability of expression between samples after removing the Poisson variability from sequencing.

I would compare dispersions betweens group1 and group2 but the problem is that these two groups have different mean levels of expression and dispersion is normally higher for low expressed genes. So I would see high dispersion of expression for group1 only because genes in this group have lower levels of expression.

Could you please suggest what test can be used here? I tried to sample genes from group2 so that they have "matched" expression levels but I wasn't able to get a subset of genes from group2 that would have the same distribution of levels of expression (tested by ks test). Any suggestions are appreciated! I work mainly in R.

I also attached scatterplot visualizing dependance between dispersions and mean levels of expression for 2 groups of genes.
    Attached Files

You have two groups of genes and every gene has a different length to every other gene. Longer with the same rate of transcription of shorter genes will have more counts. Also, different genes have different GC content, which you have not normalised for. The comparison which you have made is not logical.

Comment

Originally posted by Dario1984 View Post
      You have two groups of genes and every gene has a different length to every other gene. Longer with the same rate of transcription of shorter genes will have more counts. Also, different genes have different GC content, which you have not normalised for. The comparison which you have made is not logical.
      I do the analysis for dispersions of counts, not counts themselves. Length is not correlated with dispersion and has the same distribution for both groups. The same about GC content

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses