No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cross species RNAseq

Hi All,

I have paired-end RNAseq data from the same tissue in two species (human and rat), which I want to compare. It seems to me this is fraught with issues:
    1. The annotation quality for the two species is different and so the reads determined to align to orthologous features will likely be different. It is often the UTRs which are not well annotated (it seems), so perhaps excluding reads that bind to them is a way forward?
    2. You are wholly reliant on the quality of the orthologue mapping.
    3. Orthologous *genes* are mapped, not transcripts, meaning that a representative value for the gene needs to be derived from (possibly) multiple expressed variants. One could simply sum read counts from all the exons (with htseq-count) for this?
    4. Count based tests such as DEseq (after mapping orthologous gene pairs) seems inappropriate given the differences in gene/transcript length between species etc. However, if I calculate RPKM in each species what would an appropriate test for differential expression be?
    5. I suspect there are others, but this seems enough for now!

I wonder if anyone else has wrestled with these and has any useful advice?

Cheers.
    @sidderb

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
  • seqadmin
    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
0 responses