No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with de novo transcriptome assembly using 454 Titanium series

Hi,

I am trying to do a de novo transcriptome assembly for a non-model organism using 454 GS FLX Titanium series. I have 656878 reads with average length of 377 base pairs which after cleaning, masking and assembling using TGICL (uses CAP3 to assemble), I have 87282 contigs and 317205 singletons. My contigs have an average length of 700 bp and an average coverage depth of 1.9.

I am afraid that the coverage is very low and am not getting enough contigs due to the large number of singletons. Any ideas on how can I improve my assembly? Are these problems inherent to the TGICL assembly program or should I use some other software like MIRA? Are there any other parameters that I should look at to give me a better idea about the quality of my contigs and assembly?

Thanks

Hi ankitgupta.iitg,

If you've not heard previously, 454 Life Sciences will shortly launch a new transcriptome assembler as part of our next product update. I think you will find this new tool extremely useful in your de novo transcriptome assembly efforts. For more details please see the following:

In the meantime, I'd recommend following up with your Roche representative. One of our bioinformatics Regional Applications Consultants should be able to lend a hand with your question.

Best regards,
    Jason

Technical Product Manager
    454 Life Sciences, A Roche Company
    Technical Product Manager
    454 Life Sciences, A Roche Company

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses