SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Illumina/Solexa

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why and how are gDNA contaminations in RNAseq library preps bad? lukas1848 Sample Prep / Library Generation 1 11-04-2011 03:51 AM
ChipSeq library construction from tissue and DNA purity issues Theorbe27 Sample Prep / Library Generation 2 06-10-2011 05:59 AM
SPRI-TE Illumina library preps GW_OK Sample Prep / Library Generation 5 08-23-2010 09:13 AM
Ligase for DIY GAII library preps nickb Sample Prep / Library Generation 4 03-05-2010 10:36 AM
Homemade illumina oligos and library prep kit elly Illumina/Solexa 3 03-24-2009 08:05 AM

Old 10-18-2013, 05:48 AM   #1
zaratieg

Default Required oligo purity for homemade library preps?

Hi, we are gearing up to make some home-made libraries with custom oligos. I have never ordered oligos for library construction, what are the purity requirements? HPLC, PAGE purification? Is there a difference between the ligation adapters and the PCR primers in terms of purity? Will desalted primers be OK for PCR?
zaratieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #2
mcnelson.phd

The best answer is that if you're having primers synthesized for Next Gen sequencing, regardless of platform, then they should be HPLC purified or better. The reason is that primers are synthesized 3' -> 5', so if the 5' end is missing a base or two then that can negatively affect sequencing.

Stating that, I know a lot of people who have ordered primers for amplicon libraries without HPLC purification, and they haven't had significant issues. In some ways it comes down to how tolerant are you to failure; HPLC purification will generally guarantee you that your primers are good while the extra cost may not be worth it if you're fine with having some samples run poorly on occasion.
mcnelson.phd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
zaratieg

Thanks! My tolerance of failure is dwindling in parallel to my startup money, so I'll spend the extra bucks.
zaratieg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
illumina, library generation, oligos, purity