SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > Sample Prep / Library Generation

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ChIPseq wig file with the input subtracted from ChIP sample abmmki Illumina/Solexa 1 08-02-2012 05:51 PM
Geneid can predict differnet genes when the length of input sequence are different? bio_tt Bioinformatics 0 01-06-2012 04:47 PM
MeDIP-seq - input sample needed? ETHANol Epigenetics 4 12-23-2011 09:08 AM
Add Readgroups to Tophat multiple sample input? Pamela Mukhopadhyay Bioinformatics 0 12-14-2011 08:55 PM
18bp DNA contaminant in ChIP input sample? sinapius Sample Prep / Library Generation 0 02-09-2011 11:39 AM

Old 02-01-2016, 06:10 AM   #1
skbrimer

Default Sample input vs genome length or both?

Hellos group,

I have a technical question, I'm working with a viral (surprise!) genome. It is approx 200kbp in length and is a DNA virus. We will be sequencing this on the Ion PGM and I have a question about library prep.

We will be using the enzymatic shearing protocol which is optimized for e.coli which is 4.6 - 5.6 Mbp so I need to optimize the shear times. So my question is which is the more important factor to start tweaking, the amount of time spent in the reaction or the amount of enzyme used?

Has anyone had any experience with this type of question I would like to know some of the pitfalls before I start burning through sample preps like a mad man.
skbrimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:55 AM   #2
lorendarith

Is the enzymatic fragmentation done with transposomes or "randomly" cutting dsDNA endonucleases?

I'd imagine the enzyme concentration having a higher impact than adjusting incubation times. See these two dsDNA shearases:
http://www.zymoresearch.de/downloads...124/e2018i.pdf
http://www.funakoshi.co.jp/data/datasheet/ZYR/E2019.pdf

Not sure what the difference between the "plus" and the "normal" version is (probably old and newer version), but in the "plus" one the sheared DNA exhibits clearer shifts with increasing units of enzyme added. Although that makes the price per reaction also higher.

We also had this optimization in our lab, but I can't find the gel picture atm.

Although these reactions are mostly optimized on humans or E.coli as you say, the DNA it is usually tested on is rarely bigger than the size of your intact viral genome. This heavily depends on the DNA prep. I wouldn't expect a drastically different shearing outcome...
Old 02-02-2016, 06:07 AM   #3
skbrimer

Smile

Thank you lorendarith,

These links are helpful and will give me a narrow window to try
skbrimer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
library preparation, pgm, viral ngs