Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CLC paired read orientation- max. and min. read distance

When importing data into CLC Genomics Workbench for a de novo assembly (100 bp paired end reads), you are required to input the read orientation minimum and maximum distance between paired reads. How is this calculated?

Initially, I thought the range was calculated by the total size of the fragment. So, if my inserts were 200-220 bp + 120 bp for adaptors, the size of the fragment would be 320-340 bp. The reads being 100 bp on each side, the distance between both would be a minimum distance of 120 bp. However, my assembly using this logic, while OK, had the majority of the paired reads "broken" in the analysis.

After asking around, I was told that the distance shouldn't include the adaptors. So that the minimum distance between 2 reads would be around 0 or an insert size of 200-220 bp?

When I tried this though, the majority of the paired reads were broken in the analysis, and my contigs were generally smaller.

I should note that I found this in the manual:

"...the paired distance measure that is used throughout the CLC Genomics Workbench is always including the full read sequence. For paired-end libraries it means from the beginning of the forward read to the beginning of the reverse read."

I thought this would mean from the beginning of the transcription of both reads... so 200 bp minimum distance? However, this would not make sense with what I have so far. Could it be possible that they mean from the beginning of the forward reads to the end of the reverse read... so 100 bp minimum distance for a 200 bp insert?

And then how is maximum distance calculated?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
    • seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
    0 responses