SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Illumina/Solexa



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Concentration Illumina Index adapters Kaizen RNA Sequencing 0 01-25-2017 05:27 AM
Can I remove index adapters after assembly? Whitebark Bioinformatics 1 09-27-2016 09:11 PM
Index Sequence in adapters for multiplexing Samarpana Illumina/Solexa 8 08-10-2016 04:26 AM
Disproportionate Ratio of Index Adapters hideandSEQ Illumina/Solexa 1 07-12-2016 07:00 AM
Custom Index Adapters Ingeneious Illumina/Solexa 4 05-21-2015 08:24 PM

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2017, 01:16 AM   #1
RachelD
Junior Member
 
Location: Bristol

Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2
Default Failed index reads with homegrown adapters

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help. I am trying to sequence amplicons on the MiSeq with adapters and barcodes we have designed in the lab. The same sequences have been used successfully with other targets. My sequences are ending up in undetermined reads due to an index failure but the read 1 and 2 sequences look fine. I have been pooling one or two of my libraries with Illumina kit-generated libraries on the run and the other libraries have worked. I have also Sanger sequenced the amplicons to check that the barcodes are correct.

Any suggestions?!

Thanks,
Rachel
RachelD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 01:34 AM   #2
Genetic Librarian
Member
 
Location: Europe

Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 25
Default

Hi Rachel,

what ended up in the undetermined bin?
Just some random homopolymers or actual index sequences?
If you look at that (e.g. in the html report), you usually can spot if you find the reverse complement or reverse indices in your undetermined bin. That is usually the no.1 thing to look for.
Genetic Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 01:37 AM   #3
RachelD
Junior Member
 
Location: Bristol

Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2
Default

Hi,
The actual sequence data for the insert/amplicons went into undetermined reads. The indexes/barcodes did not sequence. I've checked all the indexes/barcodes that were read on the run and there is nothing looking like mine.

Thanks!
RachelD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 03:46 AM   #4
GenoMax
Senior Member
 
Location: East Coast USA

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,746
Default

It is possible to get the index read as a separate fastq file with bcl2fastq v.2.xx. If you have access to the raw data folder you may want to check into getting that file. If those reads look like nothing you expect (to a large extent, there will always be permutations of bases that can't be explained easily but that fraction should be relatively small) then there must be an error in your experimental design (but you can worry about that later).
GenoMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:37 AM   #5
thermophile
Senior Member
 
Location: CT

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 233
Default

In your sample sheet have you reverse complimented your i7 sequences? i5 is sequenced 5'->3', i7 is sequenced 3'->5'
__________________
Microbial ecologist, running a sequencing core. I have lots of strong opinions on how to survey communities, pretty sure some are even correct.
thermophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:00 AM   #6
cmbetts
Member
 
Location: Bay Area

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 90
Default

If there isn't anything sensitive, you could post your adapter/primer sequences and sample sheet and have another set of eyes make sure everything is right on that end before trying to diagnose what could have happened at sample prep and sequencing
cmbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:17 PM   #7
moatman
Junior Member
 
Location: Maryland

Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenoMax View Post
It is possible to get the index read as a separate fastq file with bcl2fastq v.2.xx. If you have access to the raw data folder you may want to check into getting that file. If those reads look like nothing you expect (to a large extent, there will always be permutations of bases that can't be explained easily but that fraction should be relatively small) then there must be an error in your experimental design (but you can worry about that later).
You can also tweak a file on the MiSeq to configure it to create index reads for every sample(and Undetermined) by following the guide here: https://github.com/aryeelab/umi/wiki...ut-index-reads It's basically just adding one line to a text file telling it to output index reads.
moatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
amplicon sequencing, illumina miseq, index loss

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO