SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
small anchor fraction in cufflinks and cuffdiff shelley_kong Bioinformatics 0 02-27-2013 04:55 PM
small anchor fraction in cufflinks and cuffdiff shelley_kong General 0 02-27-2013 01:21 AM
Quantifying allele-specific expression imbalance using NGS jastop Bioinformatics 2 08-29-2012 07:44 AM
Problems with 454 GS FLX Titanium medium volume sequencing BL82 454 Pyrosequencing 3 01-21-2011 05:08 AM
amplication free whole genome seq with small amounts of starting material. kingsalex Sample Prep / Library Generation 3 01-20-2011 04:43 AM

Old 08-07-2013, 05:37 AM   #1
brentonmar

Default Quantifying allele fraction of small to medium deletions in amplication sequencing

Hi all,

I would like to use MiSeq amplicon sequencing to detect the clonal outgrowth of cells harboring small to medium sized deletions (1bp to 160bp) in specific genes generated using CRISPR technology (which makes random sized deletions at specific loci matching a DNA template).

I've used BWA/Varscan in the past to quantify the allele fraction of small (1-3bp) deletions. I've also used pindel to qualitatively identify larger deletions, but I'm unsure if one can quantatively estimate the allele fraction of deletion using pindel or other tools. Has anyone tried this or have any advice?

Thanks!
-Brenton
brentonmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:56 AM   #2
chrisamiller

It's a challenging issue that usually requires several steps:

1) local assembly to identify the exact sequence of the large indel
2) creation of a contig containing that sequence
3) competitive realignment to discover reads that span the breakpoint, but couldn't be mapped previously
chrisamiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amplicon sequencing, bwa, deletions, illumina, pindel