No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• minimum depth of coverage for transfrag extension

Hello,

I am wondering why cufflinks is creating transcript model extensions based on low depth of coverage (see the red highlighted box in the attached image). So the reference annotation is in orange and the cufflinks transcript model is in blue.

As you can clearly tell, there is good coverage up to a certain point and suddenly the coverage drops down to 4 reads and cufflinks continues to extend its model to include those 4 reads. Does anyone know how to prevent cufflinks from generating these false extension? And also, if you notice, there is a gap between the area with good coverage and the 4 reads, yet cufflinks thinks this low coverage regions belongs to the previous region with good coverage. Does anyone know why this is occurring and are there parameters that can control for this? Here are the parameters I have used in TopHat and Cufflinks:

Code:
     #tophat
    tophat -o tophat_files7 -p 10 --initial-read-mismatches 3 -i 40 -I 50000 -F 0.30 --no-coverage-search -a 10 -g 20 chromosomes_all_4.fastq
    #cufflinks
    cufflinks -o cufflinks7 -b CHROMOSOMES_names_ed.fa -I 50000 --min-intron-length 40 --trim-3-avgcov-thresh 3 --trim-3-dropoff-frac 0.4 -p 10 --no-update-check -j 0.05 accepted_hits.bam
    Thanks,
    Attached Files

...Anyone?

Comment

Have you checked out the -j/--pre-mrna-fraction <0.0-1.0> option to cufflinks?
      I haven't used it myself but it looks like that might be useful.

Comment

I am having this identical problem and tried playing with the 3' end trimming '--trim-3-dropoff-frac <int>' and '--trim-3-avgcov-thresh <int>', but have not solved the problem of extension into low coverage regions. Has anyone found a solution yet? Thanks!

Comment

Hi Ron, I also attempted to optimize certain parameters, however, if you go back to the cufflinks article you'll notice authors mention that they base their categorization of transcripts simply on splice junctions, since there is variability of sequencing at both the 3' and 5'. Also, in the same paper they mention that their algorithm attempts to span 'transcript island' without necessarily having any read overlap; this allows Cufflinks to generate much larger models. You can experimentally test this -- design primers for the smaller section of your transcript without very many reads and run a real time.

Comment

Great - thanks for the info, 007. To solve the problem addressed in this thread, I'll write a script to reassign the boundary of Cufflinks-detected transcripts and can be contacted for help with this.

Comment

This might help...

I think this option may help to change the parameter:
              --overlap-radius [#nt]
              If the gap between two units is larger than the #, they will be merged.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses