SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Illumina/Solexa

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
12 mer for Miseq custom sequencing primer guardian_priest Illumina/Solexa 0 07-22-2017 05:37 AM
MiSeq Custom Sequencing Primer Tm? pmiguel Illumina/Solexa 43 11-12-2015 11:52 AM
Illumina Custom Sequencing Primer tgyuris Illumina/Solexa 4 09-16-2014 07:43 AM
What happens if a custom read 2 sequencing primer fails? bilyl Illumina/Solexa 5 05-29-2014 03:15 PM
Validation of Custom Sequencing Primer Akira Illumina/Solexa 1 11-05-2012 09:22 AM

Old 09-06-2018, 08:47 AM   #1
bheida

Default Custom Sequencing Primer

Hi,

I am writing my thesis and I ran into a question. Maybe someone here happens to know the answer to this.

We have an Illumina Miseq in our lab. For our sequencing approach we used custom sequencing primer (well 18 and 20 on the MiSeq cartridge). I know that these primers are used during the sequencing process itself. But are they also used for the bridge amplification that precedes the actual sequencing? Or does the polymerase for the bridge amplification start directly at the Illumina adapter and the flow cell.

I hope I phrased this clearly enough. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
bheida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 11:24 PM   #2
GSviral

Hi bheida,

This is a good question. I may be a bit rusty on my theory but I can try to help.

I believe when the libraries have hybridised to the flow cell via the P5 and P7 oligos the complementary strands are synthesised and the original template molecules are washed away. Then the bridge amplification occurs, the 3-prime P5/P7 end forms the bridge with complementary oligo on the flow cell, and the new strand is synthesised using that flow cell oligo as the primer.

So I think the bridge amplification begins at the flow cell adapter/oligo. The sequencing primers are used during actual read synthesis.

Someone else can correct me if I am wrong, it's been a while since I've thought about this!
GSviral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:06 AM   #3
misterc

GSviral, you're correct on all statements there
misterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:05 AM   #4
bheida

Thank you guys very much for your help. It can be difficult to find this type of information anywhere else on the web.
bheida is offline   Reply With Quote