SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How can I validate fastq files? terdon General 1 02-12-2016 09:47 AM
How to add a suffix to fastq file Wallysb01 Bioinformatics 9 08-27-2014 09:52 AM
Simple unix command to add dummy barcodes to fastq JackieBadger Bioinformatics 2 01-17-2014 06:37 AM
Split Large FASTQ file in small FASTQ files with user defined number of reads Windows deepbiomed Bioinformatics 3 04-04-2013 07:14 AM
BLASTing or Convert FASTQ: any user-interface programmes out there? Need help! A1_UltiMA Bioinformatics 6 09-17-2010 08:16 PM

Old 04-26-2018, 10:14 PM   #1
Meyana

Cool Add user specified reads to fastq to validate analysis method?

Hi,

I am analyzing mtDNA and am looking for indels, especially I am hoping to catch some large deletions.
I have performed 150bp PE on MiSeq using NexteraXT library prep.

Using different tools, I am not able to pick up the large deletions I was hoping, however, I am seeing a lot of small indels and substitution mutations, which I also was expecting.

To test my analysis methods, I would like to add some "in silico" generated reads to my fastq files. I am hoping to make 'reads' that cross a large deletions (i.e. the first 75bp of read1 at position 1-75 of mtDNA and the last 75bp and position 1001-1075 of mtDNA, read2 maybe something like position 1275-1201 [i.e. not split up at different genomic position]).

How would I go about manipulating my data in such a way?

I hope my question in clear...

Thanks!
Meyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 03:59 PM   #2
Meyana

Anyone that might know how to do something like this?
Meyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 12:26 PM   #3
dylanfofylan

Cool

Hi Meyena,

Last year, I wrote a short python script to fabricate fastq data for validating software functions. Here's my very (very) simple implementation: https://github.com/dfox3/fabricate_f...icate_fastq.py

You provide a filename (--o) (to overwrite, not to append to), the DNA code you want to to fabricate (--i), and how many times you want to replicate it (--d).

If you're interested in running this function on a set of sequences, I'd consider expanding on it. I'll probably need to use this again in the future.

Hope you find this useful
-dylan

Last edited by dylanfofylan; 05-16-2018 at 12:34 PM. Reason: i didnt want to mislead
dylanfofylan is offline   Reply With Quote