No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help interpreting samtools tview

Hi
    can anyone help me interpreting the alignment at the position shown in the attached image? I can guess that there is a deletion of two bases but the consensus sequence shows an AA and then follow bases identical to the reference? Why the blue color to those AA's? To me it is not very clear the interpretation of the color code. When I press "?" the final section of help from tview shows:

Underline: secondary or orphan ---what is this?
    Blue: 0-9 --- 0-9 what? is it number of reads?

thanks for your help.

D
    Attached Files

Hi, sorry for trying again, but can anyone point me to an explanation of the samtools tview help?? I don´t understand the colour code used and the info displayed when pressing "?" is too limited, at least to me.

Thanks in advance

D.

Comment

Hi dnusol,

Very delayed response, hopefully you not only know the answer but can help me a bit.

"Blue: 0-9" means all reads/bases (depends on the display mode) with mapping qualities between 0 and 9 will be coloured in blue, and so on with the other colours ,,

Do you know (or anyone else) know what does orphan mean here?

My guess is that underlined reads first of all come from paired-end data and second their pair couldn't be mapped. I'm not sure though ,,

Thanks a lot !

Rodrigo
      --
      J. Rodrigo Flores
      [email protected]
      Center for Genomic Sciences, UNAM, Mexico

Comment

Originally posted by jflores View Post
        Hi dnusol,

Very delayed response, hopefully you not only know the answer but can help me a bit.

"Blue: 0-9" means all reads/bases (depends on the display mode) with mapping qualities between 0 and 9 will be coloured in blue, and so on with the other colours ,,

Do you know (or anyone else) know what does orphan mean here?

My guess is that underlined reads first of all come from paired-end data and second their pair couldn't be mapped. I'm not sure though ,,

Rodrigo
        Dear Rodrigo,
        Yes you are correct. The blue means quality of 0-9 and so on for the other colours. Higher scores mean higher qualities.
        You were also correct with the orphan reads: These are reads whose pair (from mate paired/paired end data) have not been mapped to the reference sequence. These are not considered by the program when generating the consensus sequence.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
        0 responses