No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C++ library for bioinformatics?

Hi,

This is a software related question and I am hoping someone in this forum could throw light in this direction. We work on mathematical analyses with FASTA and FASTQ files. So far we have worked in R. Due to computational issues, we need to move to C++.
    Is there any C++ library available that handles the reading of these files, its alignment etc (i.e. something silmilar to R Bioconductor package).
    Any pointers welcome.

Would C be acceptable instead?

Comment

instead of c++, you can use perl with bioperl .

Comment

I believe mine is (arguably) the most sophisticated and standalone library for parsing fasta/q:

It is definitely not easiest to use, though.

Comment

The reason I asked for C++ was because I work with it. C should also be alright.
          I shall have a look at (http://lh3lh3.users.sourceforge.net/parsefastq.shtm) in detail but on first-hand I understand that this a parser for FASTA/FASTQ format. Is there any functionality for alignments and further processing.

Since we need to work with around 20 Million reads, I was already clueless as to what data structures one could use in C++. I have not used Perl yet but can it handle such large datasets (R would not)? I am ready to give that a try too.

Comment

Dealing with 20 million reads makes time complexity of your algorithms (particularly your loop over the reads) of particular importance. I did some post-processing of SAM files using Picard (Java equivalent of samtools C library) and found that I needed to do copious indexing of anything I intended to use inside the inner loop.

One example: I wanted to count the number of reads associated with each gene. My first implementation looped through all the reads, then for each read looped through all possible genes, quitting when it found the "right" one. That took forever. A later iteration included a hash map of <genome location, gene ID> so that I could do a O(1) lookup of which gene the particular read belonged to. Setting up those maps was memory intensive and a bit complicated, but decreased runtime from days to minutes.

Perl, Java and C/C++ are only limited to handling as large of datasets as your memory allows. Perl, like R, doesn't have a lot of memory management capabilities (though R tends to be less efficient). Java has limited memory management, and C will give you greatest control over your memory issues. I am much more comfortable programming in C and Perl than anything else, but I use Java for much of my next-gen sequencing bioinformatics because there's more available libraries and it fails gracefully when I run out of memory. The slight loss of efficiency is worth the benefits.

Comment

There are a number of C++ libraries out in the world (though I haven't used any, other than one I wrote almost 20 years ago as a grad student & haven't used it in over 15).

I found this with Google: Biostar. There are probably more out there.

Large datasets are going to require some trickery in just about any language. With Perl (or Python and probably many other newer languages), you will have somewhat easier access to some of those tricks -- such as hashes but also using file stores or databases for some of this mess -- the higher level languages have rich libraries for serializing and deserializing objects (perhaps C++ does as well, but I haven't inhabited that world in a long time). Of course, you may need to do some sleuthing to figure out what exactly some libraries do if you are worried about performance.

Personally, I find that for many problems the time to reduce your problem to an algorithm really ends up being more important than the time to run the algorithm for the bioinformatics I'm involved in -- but that is because folks like Heng Li have solved the really slow problems very elegantly. You might also look into languages & toolkits which assist with multiprocessing -- such as Hadoop, Map/Reduce, GATK (specifically for this space), Scala, etc. There are also some slick commercial C++ tools for assisting with multiprocessing (I have a family connection to a Cilk & TBB, which is the only reason I know about them).

Comment

Doesn't BLAST rest on a C library of some sort? And they just refactored it according to their 2009 BLAST+ paper.

Comment

Try seqan from http://www.seqan.de
                  It's really good.

Comment

For manipulation of FASTA/FASTQ files check out the FASTX toolkit http://hannonlab.cshl.edu/fastx_toolkit/

Comment

Originally posted by lskatz View Post
                      Doesn't BLAST rest on a C library of some sort? And they just refactored it according to their 2009 BLAST+ paper.
                      Yes, the NCBI moved BLAST from C to C++, but this has nothing to do with FASTQ files, does it?

Comment

Thank you all for the comments and replies. I do agree that one has to resort to trickery when it comes to processing huge files no matter which language one uses. I also checked 'seqan' but they do not seem to have support for FASTQ files. So perhaps I shall resort to Python or Perl for reading and aligning these files.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                        • seqadmin
                          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post seqadmin  
                        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                        0 responses