Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combining rRNA depletion with NuGen Ovation kit; no improvement in target enrichment

(first question on the forum )
    I am looking for some ideas and brainstorming on RNA-seq sample prep and data analysis.

I am working with low-input RNA samples (1 ng/uL if I am lucky) and from that RNA only a very tiny fraction is of my interest (viral RNA). I’ve been testing an approach in which I first rRNA-deplete my sample; then amplify the total RNA and then perform sequencing. The goal is to remove RNA of no interest in order to increase the representation of RNA of interest. The idea is that after rRNA depletion, a higher fraction of RNA of interest would be present in the sample and amplified by the NuGEN kit. Straightforward.

I had the following experimental set-up: DNase-treated RNA sample -> rRNA depletion (2 kits tried-out: Ribo-Zero and NEB next for human rRNA) -> ovation NuGEN kit -> QC on Bioanalyzer -> nextera library prep -> illumina sequencing (Miseq)

There was also a control sample (in duplicate) on which rRNA depletion was not performed.

Results: The sequencing data indicated that while there is much less rRNA compared to the control samples, the fraction of RNA of interest hasn’t improved (= pretty much same ‘% of reads of interest’ between rRNA depleted samples and control samples).

The DNA output from the NuGEN kit was good, suggesting that even though the depletion was performed on low input RNA; there was enough input to NuGEN to grant good amplification.

When I map the obtained reads to rRNA (human & mitochondrial) I indeed see that there are less reads that correspond to this rRNA compared to control samples. What seems to be happening is that some other ‘RNA of no interest’ got amplified instead (e.g. bacterial rRNA or still undetermined other RNAs) but my target of interest did not get any boost in amplification 

It seems to me that the experiment went OK but I am looking for ideas on why the results are like this and maybe for improved experimental set-up.

Here are some of my thoughts:
    - The extra low input of RNA to NuGEN make the amplification procedure less efficient resulting in a similar amount of target of interest with or without rRNA depletion
    - The expected ‘improved’ concentration of target of interest is not significant enough to see the results back in sequencing data (e.g. say the initial fraction of target in the sample is 0.005%; after depletion 0.05%; just speculating)
    - Biased amplification ??

Do you guys think my thinking is correct or what could be else happening? There is no contamination or degradation going on.
    I am wondering if there are some people here who also work with low-input RNA samples and tried rRNA depletion. Or maybe there are people who tried some enrichment/depletion approaches that are executed after library prep ?

I would suggest using post cDNA synthesis rRNA depletion methods used in following kits:

1- Ovation SoLo RNA-Seq System
    2- SMARTer Stranded Total RNA-Seq Kit v2 - Pico Input Mammalian

They both use random priming for RT.

Comment

Thank you for your suggestion. Have you tried the ovation SoLo?

I see this kit uses AnyDeplete which is now also in the new Trio RNA-seq kit from NuGen, it looks very interesting and it is definietely on our short list.

Comment

I have not tried Solo as the workflow is complicated and takes few days to prep a library. It might be of interest to you as you might be able to deplete more of the host RNA in addition to rRNA and also use cells directly without RNA extraction. On the other hand Clontech kit is easy to use and can prep library in one day and works very well.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses