No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to give data back

Hi all,
    I'm dealing with a "data delivery" issue in our Illumina facility.
    Essentially I would like to know how you deal with giving results back to researchers?
    I'm possibly ok with ChIP-seq data, but I would like to know how you deliver resequencing results (and SNP calling)...

d

Deliver? Via web interface. Yes, perhaps not the most efficient transport method but it is universal and people don't seem to mind letting their browsers download for hours. Although I did once put the customer's data on a mini-hard-drive. But since I need to keep a copy of the data it is also available via the web.

Pipeline the results? Still working on that problem. Each project seems to be a bit different.

Comment

Originally posted by westerman View Post
      Deliver? Via web interface. Yes, perhaps not the most efficient transport method but it is universal and people don't seem to mind letting their browsers download for hours. Although I did once put the customer's data on a mini-hard-drive. But since I need to keep a copy of the data it is also available via the web.

Pipeline the results? Still working on that problem. Each project seems to be a bit different.
      Yep... I found IGV network capabilities quite interesting for ChIP-seq, and also bigWig/bigBed formats... Still thinking about resequencing...

Comment

We deliver our results using either a web delivery system or DVD, unless raw and intermediate data is requested, in which case we deliver on an external HDD. Most of our data is one or two lanes of sequencing data, though.

Comment

We here at UW-Seattle host an sFTP site

Comment

We distribute text files via an ftp server, larger files we send out on external hard drives.

Comment

You can use Galaxy Sample Tracking at your facility and use its in-built data transfer utility to make datasets available to the customers.

Comment

Originally posted by r.c View Post
                You can use Galaxy Sample Tracking at your facility and use its in-built data transfer utility to make datasets available to the customers.
                How secure is data that's uploaded through the Galaxy interface?

Comment

Originally posted by elaney_k View Post
                  How secure is data that's uploaded through the Galaxy interface?
                  (I'm a Galaxy developer so my views are probably biased)

Short answer: Security is a complex issue and there are no simple short answers other than from marketing droids...

Longer answer: There are at least three security issues to think about - the front end web server, traffic to and from the application and Galaxy itself.

The public Galaxy server uses http - I would not consider that secure although (see below) once data is uploaded and assuming the user has set restrictive permissions, it's secured from access by other, unauthorized Galaxy users (unless they packet sniffed your password!)

If we're talking about a private deployment of a Galaxy instance competently configured and locked down behind a secure https web server, then unauthorized Galaxy access is going to be really hard to get for starters.

Once someone gains access to Galaxy itself, the application has inbuilt RBAC so an individual dataset can be locked down to a user or group of users easily and flexibly. Permissions on a dataset propagate to derived datasets as the default. Finally, the developers have always taken security very seriously and the code protects against all the commonest web security threats that we know about - like session key hashed url paths eg

Galaxy source has never been formally audited for security - but at least you can take a look for yourself to see what weaknesses there might be. Please let us know if you do manage to find anything we need to know about!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                  0 responses