Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rsubread for miRNA

For micro RNA (miRNA) data, the following aligners are recommended specifically for these short sequences:
    MicroRazerS (www.seqan.de/projects/microrazers/)
    mrFAST (mrfast.sourceforge.net/)
    mrsFAST (mrsfast.sourceforge.net/Home)
    PatMaN (bioinf.eva.mpg.de/patman/)
    Does anyone know how the Rsubread align function compares to these? Has anyone performed any comparisons? I use Rsubread for RNAseq and it would be convenient to use it also for miRNAseq, but I am a little concerned and wonder whether I need to invest time in conducting some comparisons.

I have noticed one potential problem with Rsubread featureCounts function when applied to miRNAseq: When I use the annotation file from mirBase (hsa.gff3) instead of the built-in annotation or the ensembl GTF file, then the Gene IDs in the counts (rownames) and annotation output from Rsubread-featureCounts are all NA (see code below).

counts_TH14_uniqtrue_annotMirBmature.out <- featureCounts(files=mapped.flist,
    annot.inbuilt="hg38", chrAliases=NULL,
    # use mirBase GTF file and feature = miRNA (mature miRNA)
    annot.ext="/home/inah/Rsubread_miRNA/RefGTF/hsa.gff3",
    isGTFAnnotationFile=TRUE,
    GTF.featureType="miRNA", GTF.attrType="miRNA", useMetaFeatures=FALSE, ...

Many thanks, Ina

For miRNA I used bowtie1 with --best --strata and bowtie2 with --very-sensitive-local options. I found around a 90% alignment score between my reads and reference genome.

Based on Ziemann et al 2016. "Evaluation of miRNA alignment techniques".

This is the code I used for featureCounts:

featureCounts -t miRNA -g ID -f -s 1 -O -T 16 -a /smallRNA.gtf -o /output_dir n.bam 2>featureCounts.log

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses