No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transcript annotation software

Hello,

I have a transcriptome assembly, and would like to just very quickly annotate the transcripts - it doesn't have to be that good as this is just a first pass.
    Can someone point me to a software where I can just simply specify my assembly (which is just a fasta file) and it will try and annotate each transcript based on some databases.

I have done a search (e.g Ensembl's genebuild) but I can't seem to find a simple 'plug and play, one-stop' program - or am I simplifying the process too much?

Thanks,
    Last edited by Kennels; 01-05-2012, 08:48 PM. Reason: typos

hi,
    you can use Cufflinks.

It is a bit laborious work. you can take some help from this paper as well.

Thanks

Comment

Maybe iprscan can help you, iprscan can make the GO annotation! Or you can try the blast2go!

Comment

blast2go is what we use for de-novo transcriptomes. Unfortunately it can take some time to run because it does blast searches and then GO lookup. Depends on how many transcripts you have but expect a day or two of processing time.

Comment

BlastP vs Uniprot has worked quite nicely for us (bacterial genomes and transcriptome)

Comment

Originally posted by westerman View Post
            blast2go is what we use for de-novo transcriptomes. Unfortunately it can take some time to run because it does blast searches and then GO lookup. Depends on how many transcripts you have but expect a day or two of processing time.
            Do you know if B2G output files can be used (or converted and then used) with mapping programs like tophat/bowtie?

I ask because I have a de novo transcriptome that I want to annotate and then use as a reference to map of sequencing reads to.

I have figured out how to do all the above, except generate an annotation file to feed tophat/bowtie. Any ideas anyone?

For the original poster, blast2go is pretty easy to use. To increase speed you can do the BLAST searcher ahead of time using a local machine (just be sure to save output in xml format) and then load the blast results into blast2go.

Comment

thanks everyone.
              Last edited by Kennels; 01-09-2012, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tboothby View Post
                Do you know if B2G output files can be used (or converted and then used) with mapping programs like tophat/bowtie?

I ask because I have a de novo transcriptome that I want to annotate and then use as a reference to map of sequencing reads to.

I have figured out how to do all the above, except generate an annotation file to feed tophat/bowtie. Any ideas anyone?
                I had a person ask me this question today. I told him that I have never done such a conversion but I suspect that it could be done with a custom program. Certainly the data is there albeit in different files.

Comment

If you are working on a plant transcriptome, you could also use the
                  mercator tool which assigns MapMan Bins to each of your sequences.
                  The web interface accepts only relatively small datasets, but there is no
                  problem in annotating larger (i.e. whole transcriptome) datasets. Just contact
                  me directly and we can arrange this (of course we will treat your data
                  confidentially). The advantage is, that the tool is quite fast (usually around 2-3
                  days for a full transcriptome of 30000 transcripts) and the output is directly
                  usable as mapping files in MapMan and PageMan for further visualization
                  and exploration of e.g. RNA-Seq data.

If you are interested visit: http://mapman.gabipd.org/
                  and or contact me directly: lohse_at_mpimp-golm.mpg.de

cheers

Comment

You may want to try Annocript. You can google it. It executes blast software and can predict putative coding and long non-coding RNA. The output is a tabular one and you can use it with other script you can do. Plot are also shown.

If you install, it will download uniprot databases and build a mysql database which you can use also. Later it will execute everything on you machine. It is not dependent from the connection.

The only problem is that it can run only on unix based systems (mac, linux)...

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                    • seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                    0 responses