No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fungal ITS sequencing Illumina

Hi,

We recently did Fungal ITS paired-end sequencing using Illumina. It turns out that overall, the read 1s do not, whereas read 2s pass the sequence quality metrics. Before sequencing we had checked the quality of the DNA by running a gel, a nanodrop.and qubit. Can someone give us some hints as to why this might have happened?
    Also, is it ok to use only the read 2s from this sequencing run and analyze it as a single end data?

Thanks for your help.

Could you post the quality histogram and base-composition histograms for read 1 and read 2? There are any number of reasons, such as laser failure during one run and not the other, or end-specific adapter contamination. Also, what are your sequence quality metrics? They might simply be too strict.

Comment

I will try to post the images soon. The quality metrics are the default Q>30 imposed by the Miseq software.

Comment

Sorry for the late reply.
        Attached Files

Comment

Wow, that looks like a colossal failure of the sequencing machine. Maybe something went wrong with the reagent.

You certainly could just use read 2 and treat it as single-end.

Comment

Did you figure out an explanation for this? What primers did you use? I just got back my first MiSeq ITS run, and it had the same issue. I haven't spent anytime troubleshooting yet - just came across this and figured I'd ask. Thanks!

Comment

Turns out that we needed better primers. We switched to a different protocol (suggested by Illumina) and a different set of primers from a paper (I'll post the citation soon). We should have the results soon. Will let you know if it worked.

Using only read 2 as a single end read is not much use. I am currently using the paired-reads that passed QC.

Comment

hi Richrr, you switched to a different protocol which is suggested by illumina. do have any information on the new protocol? any website link for the protocol? Thanks

Comment

The 16S protocol using nextera adapters, replace the 16S primers with ITS specific primers.

Comment

ITS sequencing using the 16S protocol

I am currently trying to prepare samples for ITS sequencing using the Illumina 16S protocol. I ordered the ITS primers with the Illumina overhang sequences attached and have been trying to optimise the PCR conditions. However, I seem to be generating multiple bands. I'm a bit new to this and could use some help.

Comment

There are a few primers for ITS amplification in literature. You may first try primers without any overhang to optimise PCR reactions. Presence of multiple bands depend on the sample composition because ITS region length varies among species.

Comment

Thank you for replying so quickly :-)

Comment

Hi
                          Use a touch-down PCR protocol and at last step keep for 10min in 75 C then to 4degree forever..

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                          • seqadmin
                            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post seqadmin  
                          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                          0 responses