Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonferroni correction for enrichment

I have a couple of lists that I'd like to test for enrichment of (1) pseudogenes, (2) operons, and (3) a couple of gene families. The phyper test has gone smoothly, but I'd like to run a correction for multiple testing, and I'm not really sure what I should be using as the "number of experiments" in each case.

So, for a phyper(131,1658,48246-1658,585,lower.tail=F) pseudogene enrichment test, I'm tempted to multiply the resulting pvalue by 48246 (the number of genomic features) and 11 (the number of "gene types" from Ensembl, one of which is pseudogenes).

For operons, I'd multiply the p-value by genomic features * 2 (one option for in-an-operon, one option for not-in-an-operon).

For the specific gene families, should I find the number of all gene families in my organism?

Do these plans sound reasonable, or am I way off base?

For pseudogenes you would use 11, since that's the number of tests performed (how many features went into each test is irrelevant). Note that bonferroni corrected values tend to be rather conservative, so you can often loosen your normal threshold for calling something significant.

Comment

Bonferroni Correction

Just 11 (and leave out the ~48,000 genomic features)?

Comment

Are you testing each of the 48000 genomic features individually? If not you already have your answer.

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean by individually.

I pulled all genes & their respective gene types out of Ensembl's BioMart, so I am using a gene type for each of the ~48,000 features as my background set.

I specifically care about the 585 genes in the set that I'm testing, though.

Comment

Originally posted by virg4l View Post
            I'm not sure what you mean by individually.
            I know, my question was somewhat rhetorical. Bonferroni (and all other p-value corrections) only care about the number of tests performed, not the number of things used in each of the tests. The number of genes doesn't matter, just the number of tests performed.

Comment

Thank you so much for your help!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
                Today, 07:01 AM
              • seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses