No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BAM -> SAM conversion error

Hi,

I set up a pipeline to process sequence data from FASTQ.gz -> sorted, non-redundant, and indexted BAM files. After the pipeline finishes, I delete the SAM files to conserve space.

In order to add @RG tags to some BAM files, I need to convert the BAM back to SAM and run a script to add the tags. I use samtools at the linux command line; I do not use picard--nor to I want to.

The conversion was performed as follows:

samtools view -h BGL-160-014_TGACCA_R2.fastq.gz.nodup.srt.bam > BGL-160-014_TGACCA_R2.fastq.gz.nodup.srt.sam

The following error occured when after the conversion:

samtools view BGL-160-014_TGACCA_R2.fastq.gz.nodup.srt.sam
    [bam_header_read] EOF marker is absent. The input is probably truncated.
    [bam_header_read] invalid BAM binary header (this is not a BAM file).
    [main_samview] fail to read the header from "BGL-160-014_TGACCA_R2.fastq.gz.nodup.srt.sam".

The same error occurs if I use -H to view the header.

Is there something I'm missing here?

Cheers,
    Joe White

then your bam is not correct. Try use hexdump to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by xied75 View Post
      then your bam is not correct. Try use hexdump to see it.
      As far as I can tell this is NOT the case. After the sam file is initially created, it is converted to BAM with samtools:

samtools import ref.fai in.SAM out.BAM

The file is readable by samtools view -H ...

Some of the BAM files that are created during sorting and duplicate removal are not readable with samtools view, and generate errors like:

samtools view BGL-112-003_ATCACG_R2.fastq.gz.bam
      [bam_header_read] bgzf_check_EOF: Invalid argument
      [main_samview] fail to read the header from "BGL-112-003_ATCACG_R2.fastq.gz.bam".

I don't understand why the samtools commands are not able to read their own output.

Joe

Comment

Need to look at your command line then.

Comment

samtools import to make a .bam from a .sam? I think that's deprecated.

Use samtools view instead.

Comment

Originally posted by swbarnes2 View Post
            samtools import to make a .bam from a .sam? I think that's deprecated.

Use samtools view instead.
            What options would you use for the samtools view command?
            I see -b -u -S and -T in the help screen that might be relevant. Is -T necessary?

What does -u do? Its for uncompressed BAM output. (An uncompressed binary format? No comprendo. )

jw
            Last edited by jwhite; 02-06-2013, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhite View Post
              What options would you use for the samtools view command?
              I see -b -u -S and -T in the help screen that might be relevant. Is -T necessary?

What does -u do? Its for uncompressed BAM output. (An uncompressed binary format? No comprendo. )

jw
              -T is not necessary. -u is only useful if you are going to pipe the output straight into some other command line.

samtools view -bSh will do what you want.

Comment

Hi Joe,

If your file is missing the @SQ header lines, you will need your reference file, *.fa, in order to convert to BAM. The command will look like:
                samtools faidx your_ref.fa
                samtools view -bt your_ref.fa.fai your_sam.sam > your_bam.bam
                Let me know if that works.

Cheers,

Andrew

Comment

Need to look at your command line then.
                  # align with bwa
                  /opt/bwa/bin/bwa aln -t 12 $bwaidx $fq1 > $fq1.bwa
                  /opt/bwa/bin/bwa aln -t 12 $bwaidx $fq2 > $fq2.bwa
                  # Converting BWA output to SAM format ...
                  /opt/bwa/bin/bwa sampe $bwaidx $fq1.bwa $fq2.bwa $fq1 $fq2 > $fq2.sam

# Using index convert the SAM file to BAM file
                  /opt/samtools-0.1.18/samtools import $reffq.fai $fq2.sam $fq2.bam

Notes:
                  $bwaidx is the base name of the bwa index files for the genome fasta
                  $fq1 and $fq2 are forward and reverse reads files in fastq.gz form
                  $reffa.fai is the fasta index file for the genome fasta file

Joe

Comment

Hi, Joe,

Those commands look alright. When you said
                    Some of the BAM files that are created during sorting and duplicate removal are not readable with samtools view, and generate errors like:
                    You mean when you tried to do sorting and dup remove on your newly generated bam you get those error msg or you mean after you did sorting and dup remove some of the bam is no longer viewable? If the latter, we need to see the commands how you did sorting and dup remove.

Comment

Hi, Joe,

Those commands look alright. When you said

You mean when you tried to do sorting and dup remove on your newly generated bam you get those error msg or you mean after you did sorting and dup remove some of the bam is no longer viewable? If the latter, we need to see the commands how you did sorting and dup remove.
                      These commands--and the previously sent--are all included in a shell script that I launch on our cluster's batch queue. The pipeline process runs without fail. The files are readable with vi and less, but samtools view fails to read some of the BAM files created during processing.

# Sort the BAM file
                      /opt/samtools-0.1.18/samtools sort $fq2.bam $fq2.srt

# Remove duplicates from the BAM file
                      /opt/samtools-0.1.18/samtools rmdup $fq2.srt.bam $fq2.nodup.bam

# Sort the BAM file, again!
                      /opt/samtools-0.1.18/samtools sort $fq2.nodup.bam $fq2.nodup.srt

# Index the BAM file
                      /opt/samtools-0.1.18/samtools index $fq2.nodup.srt.bam

After this step, pileup, depth and VCF file generation all use the indexed BAM file.

The reason I have to go back to SAM files is to add @RG tags to the BAM files in order to use the GATK toolkit that our PI wants to use.

Joe

Comment

# align with bwa
                        /opt/bwa/bin/bwa aln -t 12 $bwaidx $fq1 > $fq1.bwa
                        /opt/bwa/bin/bwa aln -t 12 $bwaidx $fq2 > $fq2.bwa
                        # Converting BWA output to SAM format ...
                        /opt/bwa/bin/bwa sampe $bwaidx $fq1.bwa $fq2.bwa $fq1 $fq2 > $fq2.sam

# Using index convert the SAM file to BAM file
                        /opt/samtools-0.1.18/samtools import $reffq.fai $fq2.sam $fq2.bam

Notes:
                        $bwaidx is the base name of the bwa index files for the genome fasta
                        $fq1 and $fq2 are forward and reverse reads files in fastq.gz form
                        $reffa.fai is the fasta index file for the genome fasta file

Joe
                        Again, I'm pretty sure import is deprecated. So even though it's been working for you, well, it's not working for you now. It's hard to get help when you use deprecated commands.

If all you want to do is add readgroup data, Picard can do that to .bams. That's a lot easier than redoing all the alignments

And as a general rule, making a .sam file of your whole project is a waste of space.

You should pipe the .sam file output to samtools to convert it to .bam on the fly:

Code:
                        bwa sampe $ref $out1.sai $out2.sai $fq1.fq.gz $fq2.fq.gz | samtools view -bShr ‘@RG\tID:foo\tSM:bar’ - > out.bam

Comment

Originally posted by swbarnes2 View Post
                          Again, I'm pretty sure import is deprecated. So even though it's been working for you, well, it's not working for you now. It's hard to get help when you use deprecated commands.

If all you want to do is add readgroup data, Picard can do that to .bams. That's a lot easier than redoing all the alignments

And as a general rule, making a .sam file of your whole project is a waste of space.

You should pipe the .sam file output to samtools to convert it to .bam on the fly:

Code:
                          bwa sampe $ref $out1.sai $out2.sai $fq1.fq.gz $fq2.fq.gz | samtools view -bShr ‘@RG\tID:foo\tSM:bar’ - > out.bam
                          Hi,

Thanks for your comments. I think you may have killed 3 birds with one stone here.
                          This could prove really helpful. I'll let you know.

Joe

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for your comments. I think you may have killed 3 birds with one stone here.
                            This could prove really helpful. I'll let you know.

Joe
                            Hi swbarnes2,

The command you listed worked well for generating samtools readable BAM files with headers. The part with @RG didn't produce @RG tags; since this was scripted, I have to check the code.

The command includes:

... | /<path>/samtools view -bShr "@RG\tID:$rg\tSM:$rg" - > $fq2.bam

where $rg = "BGL-160-014"

Please let me know if you see anything overtly wrong with the above.

Thanks again; this is very helpful.

Joe

Comment

Hi,

I am purplexed by the behavior of the samtools suite. When I create valid BAM files and read them with samtools view, and then output the results to a sam file, I expect that samtools will be able to read the sam file. Here are the commands used:

samtools view -h BGL-160-014_TGACCA_R2.fastq.gz.nodup.srt.bam > test.sam

addReadGroup.pl -i test.sam -o test.sam.out -r "RG4" -s "BGL-160-014" -l "BGL-160-014" -p "Hieq 2000"

samtools view -h test.sam.out |more
                              [bam_header_read] EOF marker is absent. The input is probably truncated.
                              [main_samview] fail to read the header from "test.sam.out".

I can view the the output file; it has the necessary @RG tags in the header and on each line.

Anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Cheers,

Joe

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                              • seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                              0 responses