SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > RNA Sequencing

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EdgeR cpm values after batch effects danielfortin86 Bioinformatics 4 08-25-2013 10:12 PM
Library prep woes unusual bioanalyzer profile of Illumina RNA-seq library petey Sample Prep / Library Generation 1 11-19-2012 10:00 AM
library prep and... wacguy Sample Prep / Library Generation 1 11-06-2012 12:43 PM
Library prep can you get both mRNA and small RNAs in the same library? willgordon Sample Prep / Library Generation 4 07-20-2011 12:31 PM

Old 03-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #1
chrisbala

Default library prep batch effects

Hi Everyone,

Do any of you have a sense of how often (or how badly) you see batch effects of library prep and/or sequencing in RNA-seq data (Illumina Tru-Seq kits) ?

Say I've done an experiment, but I'm not totally convinced I want to run all my samples at once. How bad would it be to prep and sequence 1/2 the libraries now, and then 1/2 later once I am more certain the experiment is worth pursuing further?

In my case, I'm outsourcing both the library prep and the sequencing.

Thanks!

Chris
chrisbala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
kwaraska

As long as it is the same service provider, I would not be too concerned. That is one of the advantages of NGS-you can add data run at different times and still be able to compare them. This is the major downfall of arrays, in my opinion. You can't run samples at different times.

I would just confirm with the provider that they will be using the same technology to prep both sets and run both sets. For example, they are currently making libraries on one robot and will be switching to a different one soon.
kwaraska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
chrisbala

Thanks, thats what I'm thinking. I've had problems in the past, but that was when a number of things varied on the provider side. Barring that, perhaps its ok..let's see if anyone else has thoughts.
chrisbala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
weigrc

We prepare libraries by ourselves. With the same one kits (TruSeq DNA + Exome kits), we did see the duplicate rate increased between 1st and 2nd batch of library preparation. The cDNA libraries prepared by TruSeq RNA kit may have the same issue since both DNA/RNA are using the same enzymes.

Wei
weigrc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batch effects, library preparation