• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Normalizing Read Coverage

Dear All,

I would like to compare read depth between two sets of samples
    for targeted amplicon regions. Now i would like to normalize all
    samples to make their read depth comparable. Which method would
    would you recommend. There are lots of good methods for RNA-Seq but which of these ca also be used for DNA-SEQ. And what to do about the GC bias when calculating fold changes ?

Best wishes and thank for your help.

bedtools coverage tool may help.

Comment

Hi everyone;

I'm working with Ion PGM to generate whole genome sequences of some RNA viruses. Then I want to do a phylognetic tree with the consensus sequences of each virus I could identify. So the question is, how many coverage or reads per base I need in order to make a good consensus sequences to my phylogenetic analysis.
      I don't want to see or analyze the variant or quasespecies. So I need just the minimal necessary

thanks for your time
      my best

Cris

Comment

Do you have reference sequences available? Otherwise you will need to account for the platform specific errors inherent to Ion.

Is this a rapidly mutating viral species or a mixed population? Without getting some additional information about the project and/or the quality/amount of the data it would be difficult to give you a useful answer.

Comment

Hi GenoMax;

thanks for your comment. Well, I hope identify Dengue and other flavivirus. I have reference sequences available. Falvivirus have ~11kb

best

Comment

Originally posted by criscruz View Post
            Hi GenoMax;

thanks for your comment. Well, I hope identify Dengue and other flavivirus. I have reference sequences available. Falvivirus have ~11kb

best
            Have you done any QC/test alignments? What aligner did you try?

Comment

Hi,
              I'm not a bioinformatic. I'm involving in wet lab but I'm working with new one in this field. He gave me a graphic where I could see a not uniform distribution of reads along the genome. So the logical question I did was what is the minimum coverage per base to trust in the consensus sequence.
              he told me he performed a QC before alignment and the assembling was denovo using newbler

Comment

Why is your colleague doing an assembly when you say that reference genome(s) are available?

If you don't feel the coverage is deep enough to trust the consensus you may have to do a) more sequencing b) go with the best call that you can make from what you have.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
                  Yesterday, 07:01 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses