No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illumina Miseq bam file

Hi all!

I'm a newbie in NGS, trying to write a thesis on BRCA mutations on breast cancer, not a biologist, so please excuse my ignorance!

I got one .bam file, of a sample sequenced by Miseq of Illumina and even after indexing it using samtools I see no alignment in IGV. When I used tview in samtools, a string of N's appeared and no bases, nowhere.

Do I need something more than this bam file?

Thank u!

You need the reference it was aligned to, and that needs an index. samtools faidx can make that. In fact, remaking the reference faidx is a quick and easy troubleshooting step that you should always do if you think there might be a problem with your reference being properly recognized. It only takes a second to do, but a lot of software will take for granted that if a file of the right name exists, that it is the correct file, and not flawed. And when that's not the case, that software will behave poorly, without hinting at why.

Comment

Try looking at the first few lines of the bam file

samtools view input.bam | less -S
      The 3rd and 4th columns are the chromosome and position. Pick one of those locations and go to it in IGV to see if you can find that read. Maybe run samtools flagstat to quickly see how many reads and alignments are in that BAM file.

Comment

Thank u both for answering!

@BAMseek: I tried to read the file but all I got was blank with an "END". :/

@swbarnes2: I have only this bam file and 2 other fastg.gz files, which I was given after the sequencing from the instrument. Do I have to download a human genome reference?
        I tried to view another example bam file and it worked perfectly on IGV and on samtools when I tview-ed it!

P.

Comment

@BAMseek: I tried to read the file but all I got was blank with an "END". :/
          That's not good. What is the size of your BAM file? Also, try "samtools view -h <input.bam>" (the -h flag will also print out header information). Getting nothing might because the file is blank (or only has header information).

Comment

Originally posted by BAMseek View Post
            That's not good. What is the size of your BAM file? Also, try "samtools view -h <input.bam>" (the -h flag will also print out header information). Getting nothing might because the file is blank (or only has header information).
            It's 237 MB. I tried samtools view -h <input.bam> and I get a zillion lines of bases, it's not empty!
            Last edited by Pennaki; 03-29-2013, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Hmm, it's odd that samtools view gives you nothing but samtools view -h gives you lots of lines. So can you take one of those positions, and go to it in IGV? Also, what are the results of samtools flagstat <in.bam> ?

Comment

Originally posted by BAMseek View Post
                Hmm, it's odd that samtools view gives you nothing but samtools view -h gives you lots of lines. So can you take one of those positions, and go to it in IGV? Also, what are the results of samtools flagstat <in.bam> ?
                I get this:

2033746 + 0 in total (QC-passed reads + QC-failed reads)
                0 + 0 duplicates
                1997349 + 0 mapped (98.21%:nan%)
                2033746 + 0 paired in sequencing
                1016873 + 0 read1
                1016873 + 0 read2
                1894442 + 0 properly paired (93.15%:nan%)
                1985672 + 0 with itself and mate mapped
                11677 + 0 singletons (0.57%:nan%)
                0 + 0 with mate mapped to a different chr
                0 + 0 with mate mapped to a different chr (mapQ>=5)

As I can see, it's chr13 and when I take it to IGV, i zoom and nothing!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses