SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to evaluate MIRA assembly kp5091 Bioinformatics 30 11-19-2013 07:19 PM
how to evaluate if the replicates are good capricy Bioinformatics 4 11-05-2013 03:01 PM
RNAseq time series data w/ controls for each time point Mocca RNA Sequencing 2 08-07-2013 11:12 PM
how to evaluate raw data oceanxie Bioinformatics 1 04-15-2011 01:52 AM
How to evaluate assembly quality? sunyu1357 Bioinformatics 2 02-15-2010 05:49 AM

Old 09-16-2015, 07:32 PM   #1
cindylanzao

Smile Computing time evaluate

Hi,all

I am doing RNA-seq alignment with STAR, my workstation is dual core(E5-2620v3), 12 thread in total, 64G RAM. I am running 9 mouse RNA-seq sample data(1GB/sample), parallelly, two days has gone, still no result. No error, the log just say start mapping. Can any one with similar experience tell me how can I make it faster or is there anything wrong.

Below is my command:
/STAR-STAR_2.4.2a/bin/Linux_x86_64/STAR --outFilterIntronMotifs RemoveNoncanonicalUnannotated --runThreadN 2 --outTmpDir /pathdir/ --outSAMtype BAM SortedByCoordinate --genomeDir /pathfordatabaseformus/ --readFilesIn XXX.clean.fq.gz --readFilesCommand zcat

Thanks for all the guys who offer me help!
cindylanzao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:25 AM   #2
alexdobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindylanzao View Post
Hi,all

I am doing RNA-seq alignment with STAR, my workstation is dual core(E5-2620v3), 12 thread in total, 64G RAM. I am running 9 mouse RNA-seq sample data(1GB/sample), parallelly, two days has gone, still no result. No error, the log just say start mapping. Can any one with similar experience tell me how can I make it faster or is there anything wrong.

Below is my command:
/STAR-STAR_2.4.2a/bin/Linux_x86_64/STAR --outFilterIntronMotifs RemoveNoncanonicalUnannotated --runThreadN 2 --outTmpDir /pathdir/ --outSAMtype BAM SortedByCoordinate --genomeDir /pathfordatabaseformus/ --readFilesIn XXX.clean.fq.gz --readFilesCommand zcat

Thanks for all the guys who offer me help!
Hi @cindylanzao

you can check check Log.progress.out for the current mapping speed and progress.
Are you trying to map all 9 samples at the same time with 2 threads for each job? If so, you need to use shared memory option, e.g. --genomeLoad LoadAndKeep. Without shared memory, the genomes for each sample have to be loaded in RAM, which requires ~9*25 GB.
A simpler option would be to map one sample at a time with 12 threads.

Cheers
Alex
alexdobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 05:56 PM   #3
cindylanzao

Question Thanks for your reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdobin View Post
Hi @cindylanzao

you can check check Log.progress.out for the current mapping speed and progress.
Are you trying to map all 9 samples at the same time with 2 threads for each job? If so, you need to use shared memory option, e.g. --genomeLoad LoadAndKeep. Without shared memory, the genomes for each sample have to be loaded in RAM, which requires ~9*25 GB.
A simpler option would be to map one sample at a time with 12 threads.

Cheers
Alex
Thanks for your kind reply Alex, I have checked the Log.progress.out, it contains nothing but the title after a whole night's running with only one sample with 12 thread. Do you have any other suggestion? Thanks!
Old 09-22-2015, 08:17 AM   #4
alexdobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindylanzao View Post
Thanks for your kind reply Alex, I have checked the Log.progress.out, it contains nothing but the title after a whole night's running with only one sample with 12 thread. Do you have any other suggestion? Thanks!
Hi @cindylanzao,

please post or email me the Log.out file from the failed single sample 12-thread run.

Cheers
Alex
alexdobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:15 PM   #5
cindylanzao

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdobin View Post
Hi @cindylanzao,

please post or email me the Log.out file from the failed single sample 12-thread run.

Cheers
Alex
Thanks for your help, but the project is in a hurry, so I have decided to change to tophat as the aligner, and have deleted all the related output file from STAR.

Tags
mouse, rna-seq, star aligner