SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Illumina/Solexa

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
index file of phiX to use in Bowtie wingtec Bioinformatics 3 01-18-2012 02:51 AM
V3 PhiX kthai Illumina/Solexa 0 04-01-2011 11:21 AM
PhiX Spiking DavidBaker Illumina/Solexa 0 09-24-2010 07:35 AM
Illumina phiX control? thsuk1 Illumina/Solexa 0 07-01-2010 02:01 PM
Control Lane - PhiX bioinfosm Illumina/Solexa 3 07-16-2008 03:18 PM

Old 09-27-2011, 04:56 AM   #1
HMorrison

Default PhiX index

Can someone confirm that the index to enter in the sample sheet for PhiX V3 demultiplexing is TTAGGC (IDX3, as read)? Got 30G "undetermined indices" on control lane.
HMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:24 AM   #2
westerman
Rick Westerman

Index #3 is indeed TTAGGC

How many other indexed reads did you have in the control lane? Or was that the only one?
westerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:29 AM   #3
HMorrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by westerman View Post
Index #3 is indeed TTAGGC

How many other indexed reads did you have in the control lane? Or was that the only one?
I know IDX3 is TTAGGC, but is that the index used for PhiX control, version 3?
I realize now it failed because it was the only index and we should have left the index field empty. But if we do want to use it for spike in, we need to know its index.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:35 AM   #4
kmcarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMorrison View Post
Can someone confirm that the index to enter in the sample sheet for PhiX V3 demultiplexing is TTAGGC (IDX3, as read)? Got 30G "undetermined indices" on control lane.
Wow, I was just looking for this information myself this morning. I haven't found an authoritative source yet though. I highly doubt that Illumina would use an index sequence from their library prep set though; that would preclude being able to use that index for one of your samples if you wanted to spike in some phiX.

Simply reading the %Base graph for our control lane though the index appears to be GTATGC. What is odd is that this sequence appears downstream of the index in all of the TruSeq adapters.
kmcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:41 AM   #5
HMorrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcarr View Post
Wow, I was just looking for this information myself this morning. I haven't found an authoritative source yet though. I highly doubt that Illumina would use an index sequence from their library prep set though; that would preclude being able to use that index for one of your samples if you wanted to spike in some phiX.

Simply reading the %Base graph for our control lane though the index appears to be GTATGC. What is odd is that this sequence appears downstream of the index in all of the TruSeq adapters.
They did use IDX3 before this; we verified that when we were using earlier kits and Casava 1.7 where we could actually look at the index reads. Now with 1.8, I can't do that. I may have to go back and run with 1.7.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:35 PM   #6
hoisinjl

I talked to techsupport the other week, and PhiX v3 does not contain an Index. Only if multiplexing PhiX is indexed with index #3. This version of PhiX is no longer being made or sold.
hoisinjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:09 AM   #7
pmiguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoisinjl View Post
I talked to techsupport the other week, and PhiX v3 does not contain an Index. Only if multiplexing PhiX is indexed with index #3. This version of PhiX is no longer being made or sold.
What about:

PE-400-2002 | Multiplexing Sequencing Primer and PhiX Control Kit v2.0 (10 flow cells)

Wouldn't that have bar coded PhiX in it?

--
Phillip
pmiguel is offline   Reply With Quote