No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apllications of Graph Theory in Next Generation Sequencing

Hello everyone,

I'm a math student interested in graph theory and its applications in biology. Sadly, biomathmeatics and bioinformatics in general are somewhat neglected at my university.

During my next semester, I'll have 2-3 months to write a paper on a topic of my choosing and I've thought about doing something relaxted to Next Generation Sequencing.
    I'm currently doing an out-of-university-internship where I have to work with some Next Generation Assembly programs, so I've heard of De Bruijn Graphs and their role in assembly. However, I am not sure whether this topic by itself would be complex enough to devote my whole paper to it, so I'm currently looking for further ideas for a possible topic.
    Can anyone point me to other areas of Next Generation Sequencing / genetics / bioinformatics where graph theory is applied?

Thank you for your answers
    Martin

Recently a nice review was suggested to learn about genome assembly using De Bruijn graphs. You may want to look at transcriptome assembly too. I would say that there is quite a lot to read and write on graphs for NGS.
    Graphs are used in many applications.. right away I would cite "splicing graph" for instance, but as Directed Acyclic Graphs can easily substitute Hidden Markov Models you may find them in problems like gene finding or multiple alignment.
    I would browse pubmed, like this for instance or like this.

Now maybe others will contribute with better propositions..

Anyway, thanks for your interest, good luck and enjoy!

Comment

Sadly Graph Theory doesn't help very much in biology. Graph applications on the other hand are very valuable. If you know what I mean.

Comment

There has been some use of graph theory in haplotyping. See:

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses