SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How can I estimate overall coverage against a reference database? dacotahm Bioinformatics 1 11-22-2011 04:01 PM
BLAST database error - when changing to new BLAST+ local program biobio Bioinformatics 4 06-15-2011 05:20 AM
Create local BLAST database SeqClark Bioinformatics 2 03-07-2011 01:17 AM
Tools to convert WTAP mapping results to nucleotide space? kchu SOLiD 0 09-14-2009 08:28 AM
public database for metagenomic sequences Suzanne Metagenomics 0 01-18-2009 09:18 PM

Old 04-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #1
NYGAWI

Default Software for mapping translated nucleotide sequences to a local reference database

Hello All,
I am wondering if anyone knows of a program for mapping translated nucleotide sequences to a reference protein database? I have between 300k and 1 million nucleotide sequences per sample (so 1.8 to 6 million translated sequences) that I would like to map against a viral protein refseq database I downloaded from NCBI. I am currently using CLC genomics workbench for analyzing my nexgen data and can map the trimmed nucleotide sequences to the reference viral nucleotide database from NCBI. However, since I am doing virus discovery work, I would also like to map protein to protein as well. By the way, we can BLAST all our sequences, but the mapping is a quick way (at least at the nucleotide to nucleotide level) to look for obvious similarities between our output and reference sequences. Thanks!
-Sam

Last edited by NYGAWI; 04-24-2012 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Typo in title
NYGAWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:46 AM   #2
Richard Finney

Jim Kent's "blat" program ...

http://genome.ucsc.edu/goldenPath/help/blatSpec.html

See the -prot parameter
Richard Finney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:05 AM   #3
NYGAWI

Richard,

Thanks for the suggestion. Looking at the BLAT website, it is written that mapping is limited to 80% identity for proteins. Is this true in practice? For our work, the desire to map proteins is motivated by the possible presence of sequences that show much greater divergence from references (say 30 to 70% identity to reference sequences). Any thought are appreciated! Thanks,

-Sam
NYGAWI is offline   Reply With Quote