SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best way to detect SNV / InDels against reference genome? camhabib Bioinformatics 2 10-22-2015 11:47 AM
Calling Indels IonTom Ion Torrent 2 05-03-2014 07:11 AM
Calling SNPs and InDels simultaneously or seperately? skblazer Bioinformatics 0 08-16-2012 10:31 AM
SNP calling from a reference sequence blackrabite Genomic Resequencing 2 05-21-2011 08:48 PM
Calling indels from samtools-pileup kakar_nipun Bioinformatics 2 01-21-2011 02:31 AM

Old 01-26-2016, 07:36 PM   #1
sjuzhet

Default Calling indels against a very small reference sequence?

Hi y'all,

So I'm trying to detect a CRISPR-induced indel in a specific region of the genome, so I only sequenced that particular region and I was planning on using that specific region as a reference sequence, rather than the whole genome. However, most workflows I've researched involved calling indels against large genomes - which is probably gross overkill for my application.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what would be the best way to detect what percentage of my reads contain an indel within a 500-bp region?
sjuzhet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 04:38 AM   #2
HESmith

It would be easier to provide suggestions if you described 1) how you selected the region of interest (amplicon? oligo capture?) and 2) the sequencing platform and type of data you generated (Sanger? Illumina PE-250?).
HESmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 05:43 AM   #3
sjuzhet

They're PCR amplicons, yes, and sequenced on a MiSeq. Several different cutting conditions were multiplexed, and I was hoping to compare them all against the reference sequence.
sjuzhet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 05:45 AM   #4
GenoMax

Try BBMap and align to the region of interest (you will need to make BBMap index). Using appropriate maxindel= (and any additional parameters that make sense).
GenoMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:01 AM   #5
HESmith

Or, assuming the paired-end reads overlap, you could use BBMerge (part of BBMap) and filter by sequence length. Any merged reads that are shorter than the predicted amplicon length contain deletions.

But BBMap alignment is fairly quick and easy to use, so that's a valid option.
HESmith is offline   Reply With Quote