No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Create GTF or GFF3 file from draft genome

Hello Bioinformatic community,
    I recently entered in RNA-Seq world, I’m a second year PhD.
    We have recently sequenced a bacterial transcriptome. I would like to create the GTF or GFF3 file from the bacterial genome in order to add it to Cufflinks. The draft genome is still unpublished. We have run the PGAAP http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/genomes/.../Pipeline.html pipeline to annotate it, but PGAAP do not gives GTF or GFF3 file. Instead, PGAAP gives you GenBank File. If someone could advise me how to do it I will be very grateful. Maybe Artemis can do it.

Last, say that I'm a biologist, so I need GUI to work, no programming experience, sorry.

Thank you very much, Bernardo

creating a GTF file

I'm in basically the same situation, but I'm teaching myself the programming. Unfortunatly I don't think there is a program with a real GUI, except perhaps the GALAXY sites.

On the public (Penn State) run site, I think there is a 2 Gig max, which would likely be preventative for both importing a genome, and transcriptome, but depending on the formats you have them it, it might be possible. You will want to use cufflinks to make the GTF file, unless anyone else knows of another program.

Galaxy has simplified it to a 'type into the text boxes' and click go type of format. Otherwise, I think you will likely have to start using linux, like I have. It can be a pain, but it's well worth it.

Comment

Hi scottyler89:

>I'm in basically the same situation, but I'm teaching myself the programming. Unfortunatly I don't think there is a program with a real GUI, except perhaps the GALAXY sites. http://galaxyproject.org/

I found this tool and it helps:
      http://www.hiv.lanl.gov/content/sequ...SION/form.html

>I think you will likely have to start using linux, like I have. It can be a pain, but it's well worth it.

I really would like to have time to learn linux. I would start by install/unistall programs and trying to run them. Many command-line tools are now adopting GUI for biologists.

Bests regards,

Bernardo

Comment

wow - very nice! I've bookmarked that site for later. I'm sure it will come in handy. Thanks!

Best wishes,
        Scott

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses