No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best CNV software?

Hello,

I know there are many reviews out there, but I can't seem to find exactly what I like.

I found this software called mrCaNaVaR, and it's great since it has it's own aligner which is supposed to be designed specifically for CNV detection. What's also great about it is that it gives .bed annotation in which it tried to determine copy number of 1kb windows regions.

What I don't like about this software is that I cannot validate the results with another aligner. If I use bwa to align the reads and then view the .bed annotations from mrCaNaVaR, I find there are regions where mrCaNaVaR says the copy number is 0 meaning no coverage, but bwa find reads that cover that position quite well.

Right now mrCaNaVaR works by quantifying copy number of windows of 1kb. It would be great if it could quantify the copy number of predefined regions such as genes for example.

Does anyone know any other software similar to mrCaNaVaR that works with NGS PE data? These are Paired-end samples. Somatic, but not human, I work on fungal pathogens, so I am sequencing spore populations.

Adrian

BioStar http://www.biostars.org/p/97688/#97692

Hey Adrian

I currently using excavator and I'm actually very impressed by it because it is the first program i have came across to have cross validation between my SNP array data and my Exome-data.. To top it off, it found other CNVs that were not detected on my SNP arrays and when i put my RNA-seq and smallRNA-seq data over the top its shows overlapping genes not expressed at all (where in all controls it is)...

So give that a crack and let me know how you get on... PS i work with human so i don't have a clue when it comes to anything else (so this might be useless for you)

cheers
    Josh

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
      04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
    • seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses