Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hybrid assembly w/ minimal RAM

I am new to RNA-Seq technique and NGS technology, but learning quickly. We currently are doing switchgrass transcriptome assembly and RNA-Seq based on this assembly. We have 5 runs from 454 FLX, each run using half-plate (~400,000 reads per run) and each run is a different condition (drought, bug infested, control, different strain) We are about to acquire Illumina data, 7 lanes, each lane producing about 29million reads (avg read length 55bp). My interest is in making the best quality transcriptome assembly given all this data. I know MIRA3 can do hybrid assemblies, but using all of the reads from both technologies would require over 100GB of RAM. The best computer we have is 25GB RAM. We were able to assemble all 5 454 runs together, but treat it lightly since there are different strains involved (haven't done any SNP discovery yet). Does anyone know of a pipeline to get the best qualitative assembly with all this data? Maybe assemble 454 and Illumina separately then combine them in CAP3? Any ideas??

you might wish to have a look at this blog post
    Was surprised I didn't blog about this earlier. Dr Mikhail Matz is a researcher in the field of coral genomics. His approach to doing de n...

his compute cluster is basically
    "two Dell PowerEdge 1900 servers joined together with ROCKS clustering software v5.0. Each server had: two Intel Quad Core E5345 (2.33 Ghz, 1333 Mhz FSB, 2x4MB L2 Cache) CPU’s and 16 GB of 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. The cluster had a combined total of 580 GB disk space."
    http://kevin-gattaca.blogspot.com/

Comment

I think it would be more memory efficient to assembly individual Illumina runs, then treat them as 454 reads (combining them with my original 454 reads) and assemble in MIRA3. I also know that I can map Illumina reads to a backbone (say my 454 assembly) and it has the option of creating new contigs if reads don't match up to the backbone. But can it extend/improve the 454 contigs/singletons I used as the backbone??
      Or I assemble 454 separately and Illumina separately, then assemble all 454 contigs, Illumina contigs, singletons & unassembled reads through CAPS3?
      Has anyone tried or prefer one of these methods?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
        04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
      • seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses