SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
We have 8500USD. Need a Blast-capable system Blaze9 Bioinformatics 6 09-08-2014 10:30 AM
New ssDNA-capable bisulfite sequencing library prep kit: Early Access Program swiftbiosci Vendor Forum 0 05-14-2014 07:16 AM
Aligner capable of correctly aligning a 30-50 bp duplication david2 Bioinformatics 12 05-16-2013 03:23 PM
clusters per tile to clusters mm2 niceday General 3 07-27-2011 06:35 AM
Software packages capable of aligning roughly 9000 bp josecolquitt Bioinformatics 4 05-18-2010 04:17 AM

Old 01-14-2015, 05:23 AM   #1
TauOvermind

Default Which metagenome assemblers are capable of efficient running on clusters?

Hi, I am trying to choose a metagenome assembler that would be able to run efficiently on a cluster (utilising cores from different nodes and using shared memory). While there are many very good assemblers out there (IDBA-UD, SPAdes, Meta-Velvet), it seems that only Ray-Meta is able to run in parallel. Are there any alternatives to Ray-Meta, or should I just stick to it?
TauOvermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 05:40 AM   #2
rhinoceros

Not really an answer to your question in any sense, but in my opinion the quality of the assembly is a thousand fold more important than how long it takes to make it.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:03 AM   #3
TauOvermind

rhinoceros, I completely agree with your point. Although I spent 3 days last time waiting for IDBA-UD to finish running, I got quite good contigs in the end.
I just wanted to know if there is a way to decrease waiting time, so I turned to the use of cluster. As far as I understood, IDBA-UD was not capable of parallel computing, and I compared Ray-Meta output to IDBA-UD output. Unfortunately, it seems that IDBA-UD is a better option for the reads I have.
TauOvermind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
assembler, cluster, idba-ud, metagenome, ray