Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is possible to stain with SYBR green

We are going to buy a transilluminator to cut the slide from the gel to make the library and We are thinking in get a transiluminator of blue light instead UV.

Could be possible to stain the DNA with SYBR green, purify the DNA and make the library with this DNA without problems in the sequencing?
    Thanks

It's a good idea to use a blue transilluminator rather than UV because the UV light will damage the DNA very rapidly.

I don't know about SYBR green, but Invitrogen sells a dye called Sybr Safe with is for exactly what you are talking about doing. My lab switched to it several years ago for all of our gels and haven't looked back since. Invitrogen even sells a blue transilluminator for it.

Comment

I believe it is safe, but my lab hasn't done it. I did come across this which does say that they specifically tested the effects of SYBR green on sequencing and it did not suggest interference, though they used a sequencing kit.

If you're going for NGS then I would be highly skeptical since the purest DNA yields plenty of sequencing on its own.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by mx1970 View Post
        We are going to buy a transilluminator to cut the slide from the gel to make the library and We are thinking in get a transiluminator of blue light instead UV.

Could be possible to stain the DNA with SYBR green, purify the DNA and make the library with this DNA without problems in the sequencing?
        Thanks
        Yes it is quite OK: I am using a blue transilluminator and SYBR green stained gels for NGS libraries. It is much more safe and convenient as compared to using UV.

Comment

We use a blue light transilluminator ( the Dark Reader, http://www.clarechemical.com/ , thought I'd give them a shout out since they were the original) with GelStar stain (http://tinyurl.com/7bdzkl8) for all of our manual size selections for NGS. GelStar is a very sensitive stain on the Dark Reader (probably 5-10X more sensitive than ethidium bromide) , so you have to be careful not to overload the gels.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
            by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
            Yesterday, 07:01 AM
          • seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses