X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phylogenetic tree construction

Hi,

I have isolated
    Last edited by juannajuann; 12-31-2013, 06:46 AM.

Originally posted by juannajuann View Post
    Hi,

I have isolated 9 soil bacteria and sent for sequencing. I had identified them using BLASTn. The results showed that 5 of them belong to genus Bacillus, 2 strains belong to genus Serratia , 1 strain is genus Pseudomonas and 1 strain belong to genus Escherichia.

Now, I would like to construct phylogenetic tree. However, I not sure how to do it.
    So, can I just construct a phylogenetic tree that only consists 9 strains of my study bacteria samples?
    Or do I need to construct a phylogenetic tree that consists of my study isolated bacteria together with some related bacteria species??

Please help me to remove all my doubt... Thanks.
    Basically, you can construct a phylogenetic tree from any set of related sequences. However, to construct a robust tree, you need to have all the relevant taxa well (evenly) represented, as well as a well thought-out outgroup. Maybe your best bet would be to simply take 16S/other marker genes and add it/them to some pre-made alignment/s?
    Last edited by rhinoceros; 07-31-2013, 04:34 AM.
    savetherhino.org

Comment

Originally posted by rhinoceros View Post
      Basically, you can construct a phylogenetic tree from any set of related sequences. However, to construct a robust tree, you need to have all the relevant taxa well (evenly) represented, as well as a well thought-out outgroup. Maybe your best bet would be to simply take 16S/other marker genes and add it/them to some pre-made alignment/s?

So, you mean the phylogentic tree include my bacteria strain and some related species...
      It is the phylogenetic somehow look like this, just for example

[IMG][/IMG]

Sorry, I am new in this thing. So, I am not sure how to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by juannajuann View Post
        So, you mean the phylogentic tree include my bacteria strain and some related species...
        What is the question you want to answer with your tree? If it's the taxonomic placement of your samples, then obviously constructing a tree that includes only your samples will not take you very far. For precise taxonomic placement, you really should just add your sequences to some pre-made alignment..
        savetherhino.org

Comment

There is some journal that construct phylogenetic tree using the isolated strains only...
          for example,

............Well, basically I just want to study the evolutionary relationship among the isolated bacteria. I just not very sure the best way to construct the phylogenetic tree.

Comment

You can use just your isolated samples if you are only interested in the relationships amongst them. If you wish to generate a rooted tree, then you will need an appropriate outgroup (preferable several sequences, not just one arbitrary one).

But you can generate unrooted cladograms with the sequences you have.

A free suite of tools like PHYLIP will let you explore using distance, ML and Parsimony methods. There are other free tools to explore Bayesian methods or alternate models as well.

Be wary of misinterpreting branch lengths though, if you are not able to flesh out the data set with additional related species.
            Michael Black, Ph.D.
            ScitoVation LLC. RTP, N.C.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses