Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So it is the amount of operations (substitution, insertion, delition) that I have to do, to change my 50bp read to my reference. But why do I have then reads mapped to my reference with partly more than 10 mismatches?

Comment

You'd have to go through the exact command that the company used and compare that to how things are processed inside bwa (by looking at the code rather than the documentation).

Comment

That means other options in BWA can change the maximum of my 3 "mismatches" and allow more... wow that makes it even more complecated for me. They said they used default parameters with the only change in the options mentioned above.

Comment

You are not able to get the raw data and recreate the result yourself? You could be spinning your wheels for a long while trying to find an explanation for their results.

Note: Reading the beginning of the thread seems to indicate you have the raw data but are your results not matching the alignments the company did?
          Last edited by GenoMax; 03-19-2015, 06:26 AM.

Comment

I have the raw data, but I am not working at the institut anymore... and at home with my old little labtop, not really. Iam writing my thesis and there you look sometime at things deeper, then you should have done it before. But maybe I should simply take it like it is. Its just the urge to understand it in detail. Thanks a lot for your patience!

Comment

I see the dilemma now. You could use the results provided by the company as is but then you may not be able to defend them if questioned during your defense.

Do you think the conclusion is going to differ if you were to do the analysis again? If you are sure the answer is no then you will have to make a decision.

Comment

Neugier ist der Katze Tod, or perhaps "Curiosity killed the PhD thesis" would be a better variant

But anyway, I agree with GenoMax. If their results look problematic at all then it's worthwhile to repeat the alignment simply so you know exactly how things were processed.

Comment

Thats the point, but hopefully they will not ask... The good thing is, even Iam not so deep to this whole RNA-seq thing, Iam deeper then the others... so I just need a good explanation which they swollow.

Doing it again is no option. The only option I have is to terrorize the company, but customers service is not their strength and they explain me everytime that its too long ago, they are not able to look to the data... Which is incomprehensible for me.

Comment

Good statement, I still need something creative for my "plain site"... Until now my favourite is "Die Zeit promoviert jeden"

Comment

This is RNAseq data that they aligned with bwa aln? I must have missed the RNAseq part earlier. I'm not sure how well bwa aln will deal with splicing...

BTW, I'm going to have to steal your saying

Comment

Yes it is, but it was aligned to a transcriptome (apple by the way, its not the best, but better then nothing).
                        Thats fine, do it... it did it too and I really love it.

Comment

Ah, aligned to the transcriptome makes MUCH more sense! Your committee can't complain about that.

Comment

At least something positive

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                            • seqadmin
                              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
                            0 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post seqadmin  
                            Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
                            0 responses