SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > General

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IGV .genome files: where is the sequence? pmiguel Bioinformatics 7 12-22-2011 07:03 PM
how to use samtools to get consensus sequence? f0415007 Bioinformatics 1 09-26-2011 11:59 PM
Consensus sequence nitinkumar Bioinformatics 0 05-21-2011 06:38 PM
.ace consensus sequence jgibbons1 Bioinformatics 15 02-09-2010 02:40 PM
use of export/sequence data mimi_lupton Illumina/Solexa 3 02-08-2009 02:38 PM

Old 08-19-2010, 05:21 AM   #1
Bean

Default How do I export consensus sequence from IGV?

Hi all,

not sure where to post this, so I'll put it under general.

I am checking sequences (bam files) with the IGV genome viewer, and can't figure out how to export a consensus sequence for regions containing SNPs. If I use the "define a region of interest/copy sequence" button, it copies the reference sequence for that region, not the consensus.

Is this possible in IGV; if so, how do I do that? If not, can anyone recommend a (free) bam-file viewer in which one can define (SNP threshhold etc.) a consensus and export that as a fasta or simple textfile?

Thanks in advance!

Greets
Bean
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:06 PM   #2
Jim Robinson

Hi Bean,

I'm the developer of IGV. You are correct you cannot do that in IGV, but it looks like a useful feature to have. I'm a little unclear on the snp threshold setting, if you want to email me with details at igv-help@broadinstitute.org I'm sure we can add this feature. You can post it here as well, but the email above comes directly to me, some days I'm too busy to check the message boards!

Regards,

Jim
Jim Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:51 AM   #3
shangool

HI
I have the same problem now, that I should look at my cosensus seq. I already get my consensus file from samtools, but I do not know how I can convert it fastq from pileup, because I have BLAST these consensus seqs.
Many tanks
shangool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:45 AM   #4
sadiexiaoyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean View Post
Hi all,

not sure where to post this, so I'll put it under general.

I am checking sequences (bam files) with the IGV genome viewer, and can't figure out how to export a consensus sequence for regions containing SNPs. If I use the "define a region of interest/copy sequence" button, it copies the reference sequence for that region, not the consensus.

Is this possible in IGV; if so, how do I do that? If not, can anyone recommend a (free) bam-file viewer in which one can define (SNP threshhold etc.) a consensus and export that as a fasta or simple textfile?

Thanks in advance!

Greets
Bean
Hi, Bean,

Three years later Have you found anyway to solve this problem? I am also interested in how to use IGV to export consensus sequence. Thanks!

Best,

Sadiexiaoyu
sadiexiaoyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:04 AM   #5
Jim Robinson

Hi,

This is not something IGV currently does. As you can see from my last post I'm not clear on the specifics of how a consensus sequence is defined, other than as a pileup. Some decision needs to be made re a call for each base, perhaps using ambiguity codes when a call cannot be made. If you want to help us develop some simple rules we will consider implementing it. This is better done in the igv-help google group, where other IGV users and contributors can participate.
Jim Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote