SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Convert SAM to GFF Darwin Bioinformatics 8 01-30-2012 12:11 AM
not able to load a bed file into UCSC genome browser ataaillah Introductions 0 01-18-2012 08:46 AM
Convert SOAPsplice v1.4 output to SAM cdb3 RNA Sequencing 0 08-25-2011 11:21 AM
How to convert bowtie output to wig masylichu Bioinformatics 3 10-31-2010 03:49 AM
Convertion of SOLiD3 gff to SAM/BAM for IGV browser hingamp SOLiD 8 03-03-2010 02:45 PM

Old 09-30-2009, 04:22 PM   #1
MQ-BCBB

Default how to convert BLAT output (pslx or maf) to gff, sam, wig to load in browser

I was able to view BLAT output (psl format) in the IGB (igb.bioviz.org) but would like to be able to use the BROAD IGV instead which doesn't recognize any of the BLAT outputs.

Is there a way to convert a psl, pslx, or maf format to sam, wig, gff or any other format that will allow me to view my sequences using IGV?

Thank you!
MQ-BCBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:26 PM   #2
DrD2009

I'm pretty new to the field of bioinformatics, but I have been dealing with a very similar situation, taking the PSL output of BLAT and putting it into a GFF file.

I've been processing the PSL files on Galaxy (http://main.g2.bx.psu.edu/). It pretty easy and only takes a minute to convert it over into a GFF.

Steps:
1.) Upload the PSL file and select the file type as tabular. (get data>upload file)
2.) Remove the header, if there is one (text manipulation>remove beginning). There are 5 lines in the header.
3.) Add columns for the source and feature fields. (text manipulation>add column)
4.) Add columns for the score, frame, and group (text manipulation>add column)
For these I just put "."
5.) Now that you have all the fields necessary for the GFF it is just a matter of cutting the columns in order. (text manipulation>cut).
6.) Click on the pencil to edit the name of the file and to change it into GFF format and the columns will be named with the proper GFF fields.

The first time it took me a while to figure out, but now I can go from PSL to GFF in about 1-2 minutes using Galaxy. There is probably an easy way to do it with programming and scripts, but this way has been working well for me.

Hope this helps.

-Brandon
DrD2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:48 AM   #3
MQ-BCBB

Thanks for your reply. I haven't tried it but I will. I also found convenient to get to a sam output which could be sorted and indexed with the IGV tools and then displayed in the browser.
MQ-BCBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:52 AM   #4
David

Could you please describe the method you used to convert Blat to SAM?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:50 AM   #5
rdeborja

Default blat (psl) to sam

Samtools (v0.1.7) comes with a tool to convert psa to sam format called psl2sam.pl.
rdeborja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:14 PM   #6
David

We are trying to use Cufflinks to analyze our data. This requires CIGAR matching and it appears that psl2sam.py is unable to do this. Are there any other scripts or flags we can use for this particular application?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:03 AM   #7
lindymcb

Hi David - I would also like to use cufflinks to analyze BLAT aligned sequences. Did you find a solution to converting psl to sam with CIGAR matching?
Thanks!
lindymcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:13 AM   #8
pbarros

Default how to convert BLAT output (pslx or maf) to gff, sam, wig to load in browser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeborja View Post
Samtools (v0.1.7) comes with a tool to convert psa to sam format called psl2sam.pl.
Dear all,
I've been trying to use this perl script (psl2sam.pl) to convert a .psl file (from BLAT).
However, this is not generating an output file (.sam)... instead, it just prints (what I think is) the output on shell

$path/psl2sam.pl myfile.psl

I'm not using any of the options in usage, but they are all related to the conversion itself and not about the output file...
I must add that I never used SAMtools before...
what am I missing here?

thank you in advance
pbarros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:13 AM   #9
pbarros

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarros View Post
Dear all,
I've been trying to use this perl script (psl2sam.pl) to convert a .psl file (from BLAT).
However, this is not generating an output file (.sam)... instead, it just prints (what I think is) the output on shell

$path/psl2sam.pl myfile.psl

I'm not using any of the options in usage, but they are all related to the conversion itself and not about the output file...
I must add that I never used SAMtools before...
what am I missing here?

thank you in advance
ok!
just found the answer for that!
never mind
pbarros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:23 PM   #10
Jim Robinson

I'm pretty late to this thread, missed the original post. However, for the record IGV displays blat output in the form of .psl files, the extension must be .psl. There's no need to convert it to another format.

Jim
Jim Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:18 AM   #11
lechu502

Hi, got to the same problem.
If you don't need mapping quality, I would get maf
(`blat -out=maf`) and then convert maf to sam (`maf-convert.py sam`) from last aligner last/src.
lechu502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:20 AM   #12
Jim Robinson

Why don't you just load the blat output (.psl file)?
Jim Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote