No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting 454 reads to illumina reads

Hello

i have a pipeline which works with illumina reads. When i convert the 454 reads in to fastq format and give it as input, the pipeline is not working. The average length of the sequence is 350 bp. I am planning to make them in to 100bp reads. Are there any tools out there which can do this?

I'm not sure it's a good idea, what are you doing in your pipeline? If your pipeline assumes that all sequences are the same length (as Illumina reads are) it might have issues with the variable read lengths of 454.454 reads also have a lot of associated info (e.g. adaptors, multiplexing tags, suggested end-clips) which are useful to keep. Also not sure why you'd want to throw out an average of 250bp of sequence per read.

I can think of a lot of other details that might cause the pipeline to break, it really depends what you are doing with the reads. Can you provide more details?

Comment

I am also not convinced it is a good idea to sacrifice all that information, but if you must you can use Biopieces (www.biopieces.org):

Code:
      read_sff -i data.sff | extract_seq -l 100 | write_fastq -o data.fq -x
      or

Code:
      read_454 -i data.fna -q data.qual | extract_seq -l 100 | write_fastq -o data.fq -x

Comment

Hi empyrean,

Can you share what you plan to achieve? There may be a way to use 454 reads as is to achieve what you want. Or at least help us understand why you want to stick to your Illumina pipeline.

Best regards,
        Douglas

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses