Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covaris shearing concentrated DNA

I know that one of Covaris' claims to fame is that their AFA shearing is DNA concentration independent. They have literature showing bioanalyzer traces of identical size distributions obtained from 50ng and 2ug samples. Has anyone tried to shear more than 2ug of DNA in a single treatment? Any thoughts about whether the size distribution will be altered if I try to shear 10ug+ in a single treatment with parameters that were optimized on 1ug samples?

I have sheared from 1-5000 ng with similar results. Covaris recommendation is for 100-5000 ng. Trial with your DNA is the best way. I would suggest normalising sheared DNA to the same concentration for all samples (if using various concentrations) before Bioanalyser analysis.

Comment

Thanks for the info, nucacidhunter. I did a trial with non-precious gDNA and I got equal shearing using samples containing 1ug and 5ug of DNA (as quantified by picogreen). However, samples containing 10ug and 20ug of DNA ended up with a broad, almost bimodal distribution of fragment sizes.

In the future I'll simply break up my high-mass samples into 5ug chunks and shear each chunk independently. I bead-purify after shearing anyway, so it will be easy to re-concentrate the total fragmented pool.

Comment

Covaris shearing of DNA is indeed concentration independent. I have attached one customer's data in which they carried out a shearing of 1-50ug of DNA in 130ul volume in a microTUBE.
        As Nucacidhunter suggested, I would also advise that you determine a working range of concentration for your samples, and try to keep your samples within that range so as not to bias or adversely effect the efficiency of other steps in your library preparation.

Thank you

hamid
        Attached Files

Comment

Also, keep in mind that Covaris has different tubes for different applications. I haven't looked into it specifically for your wants, but you might find a different tube type more accommodating for your needs.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
          0 responses