No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 454 amplicon recurring problem - wide, large untrimmed distribution

Hello,
    We have done several amplicon sequencing projects lately that have yielded poor results. Link below is to a summary of thoses runs including Bioanalyzer traces, untrimmed and trimmed distributions for several of them (pword is "amplicon"):

Good runs were on:

April 22
    June 7
    July 31
    Oct 19 (Region 2)

Then the weird distributions started (wide and too-high untrimmed, dismal trimmed):

Nov 3
    Nov 7
    Nov 18 (partial)
    Nov 26 (partial)

We are upgraded to GSFLX-XL+, but are still using regular Titanium kits.

Hi Indiana,
    When was your instrument upgraded to XL+?
    Any issues with your shotgun runs?

What parameters are you using for signal processing? (You would probably have to get that info from your IT guys.)

--
    Phillip

Comment

I am interested to know if there is some issue with your instrument running Titanium since you got the upgrade or, as I suspect, the runs are fine but the way your IT guys tuned your amplicon processing pipeline is not compatible with Titanium-run-on-a-FLX+ data.

--
      Phillip

Comment

Hi everybody, I just performed an amplicon run to sequence 16S RNA using fusion primers and the "one way read approach". The amplicons have ~700bp and the bioanalyzer profiles were perfect with no primer-dimer peak. Our machine was upgraded to GS FLX+ but we used XLR70 reagents. Guess what? I obtained a high % of short read/short primer, reads with low quality. The processing was made using amplicon and shotgun pipelines giving the same poor result. Amplicon sequencing using 454 shouldn't be allowed. I would appreciate any advise from you. Thanks in advance.

Comment

LFMar, what emPCR conditions did you use?

Comment

Originally posted by RCJK View Post
            LFMar, what emPCR conditions did you use?
            I used standard emPCR conditions

Comment

Try using the emPCR conditions for long amplicons and see if that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by LFMar View Post
                Hi everybody, I just performed an amplicon run to sequence 16S RNA using fusion primers and the "one way read approach". The amplicons have ~700bp and the bioanalyzer profiles were perfect with no primer-dimer peak.
                ssDNA primer-dimers can anneal to the adapters of your 700 bp amplicons and effectively "hide" from size/molecular weight-based fractionation methods. I was hearing that people were getting better results on PCR products (which is what fusion amplicons are) when they were subjected to 2 cycles of AmPureXP clean-up.

AmPure is a size-based fractionation method, but perhaps by doing 2 cycles the primer-dimer strands exchange off the full length amplicons enough to get a good result.

Or, you could go old-school and run a denaturing acrylamide gel. That way all the strands run separately and the primer-dimers can't hide.

--
                Phillip

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses