Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After 1st-strand cDNA synthesis for RNAseq, is it safe to wait a day for 2nd?

Greetings All,

It's my first time doing library prep for RNAseq on a eukaryotic organism, and unfortunately I failed to order 2nd strand cDNA synthesis mix before the end of business today, so there's no way that I'll get the mix tomorrow. However, I do have the materials needed 1st strand cDNA synthesis.

I fully realize that 24 hours is not a long time to wait to get this library prepared, but I'm actually in a time crunch to get this sent to the sequencing core and I want to optimize for time. On that basis, is it safe to synthesize the 1st cDNA strand, and then leave the samples overnight in cold storage while I wait for the 2nd cDNA strand synthesis mix to arrive the following morning?

Of course, prior to posting a new question I searched for an answer to my question. I didn't find anything here or elsewhere that directly addresses this issue. The closest I found was this protocol which says at the end of the section regarding 1st strand synth: "After incubation at 4°C, centrifuge the tube briefly (~5 seconds) to collect the reaction at the bottom of the tube and immediately proceed to Step 3: Second-Strand cDNA Synthesis." which is clearly mix-specific, as an alternative protocol from the same document only states the need to incubate the tubes at 42C for an hour prior to proceeding to the synth of 2nd strand.

In short, is it safe to wait? Ultimately it's just cDNA and mRNA, right? Happy to receive any insights- thanks for your help!

It´s perfectly fine, don´t worry! If you make cDNA using a strand-switch oligo (Smarter, Smart-seq2, STRT methods) you might notice a lower yield if you leave the 1st strand reaction in the fridge for a week or more before doing the PCR (don´t know the reason but this is what we observed), but nothing bad happens if you leave it overnight. Even if you use another system (DNA Pol I, RNAse H) there shouldn´t be any problems.

Comment

Perfect, thanks very much for the explanation. Cheers!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses