Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MedIP-Seq and Batman

Anyone knows how to use Batman for MedIP-Seq?

I've been emailing the author for months without reply and its very very disappointing. The accompanying document tells us to contact the author on how to do it, but this seemed like a fruitcake.

any luck?

Hi lugie

Are you still stuck with this?

L

Comment

Hi Layla,

sorry for the late reply! Thomas, thru Vardhman, the 2 authors of Batman, replied and helped me out with some troubleshooting.

I already have the full recipe to input the Medip-Seq data into Batman but i need to do some pre-processing first in Maq and some perl scripts.

Are you doing this as well?

Comment

Please note, both the manual and the paper have an outdated e-mail address of this software author.
        Last edited by pko; 01-13-2010, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Hi here is GentleYang from BGI.
          We also use batman in our "medip" but with something wrong. When we load probes data(GFF)into our database ,the batman.LoadProbesApplication alway throw a exception like multiple keys into table medip_roi !

Is every line with uniq ROI id ?
          Another developer ! Focus on Bioinformatics,Internet,Math :0 with URL yangzt.com and vbio.info

Comment

Hi, Luqie

I am going to use Batman for MedIP-Seq.I will soon get Medip-Seq data. I am a novice. I have no idea on how to use it. Can you help me or provide some reference to me ?

Comment

General guide?

I was planning to use Batman for MeDIP-seq too - are there any general guides anywhere? Or an alternative tool?

Comment

Luqie: could you share some of your experience in using Batman? what is the recipe for Medip-Seq analysis. Thanks

Comment

Anyone knows how to use Batman for MedIP-chip?

When I used batman.CalibrateApplication. It always tells me that Baseline=NAN Response=NAN and the scatter.dat,trend.dat have no any contents. I'm really want to know the reason.

Comment

Originally posted by haidan View Post
                    When I used batman.CalibrateApplication. It always tells me that Baseline=NAN Response=NAN and the scatter.dat,trend.dat have no any contents. I'm really want to know the reason.
                    I have the exact same problem. Have you solved it?

Comment

Hi,
                      I am analyzing medip-chip data. Please could any of you help me with some issues

I wish to identify differentially methylated regions (DMR's )as the final goal.

Which software/ pipeline is good for this? I have used bioconductor Ringo package for determining regions enriched in methylation. Ringo is designed for chip-chip data analysis, but is it still applicable for medip-chip?
                      It is right to identify DMR's from the peaks determined by ringo using some statistical test like t.test ?

Please kindly let me know you suggestions as soon as possible since im greatly confused with this!

Comment

Hi, I've got the same query again. I have some MeDIP-seq data and I am wondering if anybody has any guides or information how to run it?

Comment

Originally posted by sunsnow86 View Post
                          Luqie: could you share some of your experience in using Batman? what is the recipe for Medip-Seq analysis. Thanks
                          Luqie: Please, help us!

Comment

the recipe of batman

Hi Luqie, would you mind share your expriment of using Batman to us ? I recently using batman to anaylsis MeDIP data, but batman seems doesn't work.
                            Originally posted by luqie View Post
                            Hi Layla,

sorry for the late reply! Thomas, thru Vardhman, the 2 authors of Batman, replied and helped me out with some troubleshooting.

I already have the full recipe to input the Medip-Seq data into Batman but i need to do some pre-processing first in Maq and some perl scripts.

Are you doing this as well?

Comment

I see a lot of people still looking for the protocol for using Batman. I contacted the author and he replied me with the protocol for using Batman on MeDIP-seq. I will just paste it here:
                              "Here's the current protocol. Give me a shout if you've got any questions.

One issue: there's an incompatibility between the current Batman code and recent versions of the mysql-connect/j database driver. One day I should fix this, but for now please use an old version. This one is known to work
                              well:

ftp://ftp.mirrorservice.org/sites/ft...a-5.0.5.tar.gz

Best wishes,

Thomas.

I've just put together a new Batman snapshot which includes a complete set of pre-processing scripts for handling MeDIP-seq data. You can get it here:

This snapshot includes some minor known issues (the one that's likely to bite people is occasionally crashes when loading multiple MeDIP-seq datasets into a single database. For now, please create a new DB for every dataset), but I'm hoping to have a full release, and some updated documentation, ready in the next few days.

For now, the MeDIP-seq recipe goes something like:

1. Align your reads to the reference genome. I currently recommend MAQ for doing this. Other packages should work, but you'll need to write your own scripts to:

a) discard low-confidence alignments (if they're reported by your preferred aligner).

b) converting the tag placements to GFF2 format.

2. Create a Batman DB and register the experiment as normal.

3. Generate and load a suitable coupling-profile:

java -server -Xmx500M batman.EstimateCouplingProfileApplication -minLength 500 -maxLength 500
                              >ms500_coupling.txt

java -server batman.LoadCouplingProfileApplication
                              <db details> -name ms500 ms500_coupling.txt

4. Pre-process your aligned MeDIP seq data:

maq mapview medipseq.map | java -server batman.medipseq.MaqToGFFApplication >medipseq.gff

(You can concatenate several GFF files at this point if you're using multiple lanes of sequence for one sample).

for chr in `seq 1 22` X Y; do echo $chr; java -server -Xmx1800M batman.medipseq.ReadsToPseudoArrayApplication -target $chr -fragmentLength 200 -fragmentExtension 500 medipseq.gff
                              >medipseq-chr${chr}.pad.gff; done

The "pad.gff" files are in normal Batman array format (hence pseudo-array). This script automatically generates one ROI (called something like "CHR6" for each chromosome. You'll use these when generating methylation profiles).

5. Load the resulting "pad.gff" files into the Batman database as usual, using LoadProbes then LoadRatsGFF.

6. Calibrate using the appropriate coupling profile. Please specify one chromosome (doesn't really matter which one) when you do this:

java -server -Xmx1800M batman.CalibrateApplication <db options> -couplingProfile ms500 -expt medipseq -chr 6 -writeDB

7. Generate the methylation profile:

java -server -Xmx1800M batman.SampleMethStatesApplication -expt medipseq -couplingProfile ms500 -tilepathSamples CHR6 -mseqHack -proxySpacing 100 -tilepathTile 500 -tilepathStep 500 -tilepathFlank 500 -precision 0.25 2>batman-chr6.log | java -server batman.SumarizeApplication -trim >batman-chr6.gff

Obviously, you'll need to run this for every chromosome. If you have the computing power available, you'll probably want to analyze several chromosomes worth of data in parallel.

As always, give me a shout if you run into any problems.

Thomas"

Again, this was provided by Dr. Thomas Down, I just pasted it here for everyone's use. I hope it helps!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses