SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Illumina/Solexa

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Index 1 read (i7) - Low Intensity & Low Quality?? EcneuqeS Illumina/Solexa 0 12-11-2018 10:41 PM
bcftools - retain low quality read position support? clintp Bioinformatics 0 05-17-2018 03:42 PM
Transcriptome assembly: Low GC, short contigs, low read alignment jmah Bioinformatics 0 03-15-2017 04:47 PM
Low intensity & quality for Index Read 2 kmcarr Illumina/Solexa 5 09-29-2016 02:16 AM
Low quality in the middle of the read? MG1655 Illumina/Solexa 0 08-12-2012 12:22 PM

Old 12-12-2018, 01:16 AM   #1
EcneuqeS

Default Index 1 read (i7) - Low Intensity & Low Quality??

Good day,

Can anyone advise me on the following regarding a recent amplicon sequencing run on the Illumina MiSeq:

What would be the cause for a relatively low intensity and low quality Index 1 read (i7) compared to Read 1, Index 2 (i5) and Read 2?

The nucleotides at each position within the indices used were balanced.

The run was quite under-clustered.

Also, other than potential dilution problem, what are other reasons for obtaining a significantly higher alignment of Phix compared to what was originally spiked?

Thanks!
EcneuqeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:11 PM   #2
luc

Did you use custom sequencing primers for any of the reads?
luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:02 PM   #3
MMG9

What if this person did use custom sequencing primers? How would that effect the run and data quality?
MMG9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:43 AM   #4
JoeKutch

I think what Luc was considering is that if the custom sequencing primer didn't anneal properly/as efficiently as the standard Illumina primer, you would have fewer clusters primed and thus fewer clusters producing signal intensity.

If the custom primers were spiked into the Illumina primer mix, then that could also explain the higher percentage of PhiX aligning, as the PhiX clusters primed normally while the amplicon clusters did not. This is applicable to read 2 and read 1.

A low quality in the index 1 read could be explained by PhiX as well. If 30% of your clusters are PhiX, that 30% will produce no signal in index 1 and reduce your %Q30 for that read accordingly.

Index 2 can't be explained by this to my knowledge, as that primer cannot be custom.
JoeKutch is offline   Reply With Quote