Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about SGS computational analysis for Cancer Genomics

I am currently working on a project where we have cancer and normal patient samples, in which we developed a pipeline for variant calls for SNPs and Indels. Before I can analyze it, I need to make sure the pipeline is suited for cancer genomics.

As for the pipeline, I've used BWA for alignment and GATK's Unified Genotyper for mutation calling. I understand that this method is appropriate for non-cancer sample analysis, as commented in Nature Review: http://www.nature.com/nrg/journal/v1...l/nrg2841.html

My problem comes from needing to call the somatic genome alteration detected in tumour and not detected in the normal data, as a differential analysis. From GATK, I've taken a look at "SomaticIndelDetector" (http://www.broadinstitute.org/gsa/ga...torWalker.html), which seems to call Indel, but ignores all the other possible SNP mutations. Beyond this, I have not had luck in finding online sources for appropriate Cancer Genome SGS analysis with Tumour-Normal paired analysis.

Can I ask those who have insight regarding to this matter for the advices and latest tools that I can use? Thanks in advance.

Regards,

CJ

Well one problem is that you want compare normal to tumor. The second is most mutation callers make assumptions about the number of alleles (in humans, the expectation is 1-2 alleles per locus). However in cancer samples, there is heterogeneity and thus there could be any number of alleles. You don't want to employ a method that incorrectly assumes the sample contains only one genome.

Comment

Thanks for the link. MuTect is not public, but I can definitely use the MuSIC.

The thing about MuSIC is that it will work with a candidate set of mutated gene list, but I'm not yet in this stage. Is there a standard or published protocol/tools for obtaining candidate mutations in normal/tumour pair samples from same patients? I've checked out SNVMix and UnifiedGenotyper, and would like your opinion in their appropriateness for the scenario.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
        04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
      • seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses