SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > Sample Prep / Library Generation

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nextera XT gillt Sample Prep / Library Generation 0 03-06-2013 05:05 PM
Nextera XT on HiSeq Christine Illumina/Solexa 18 02-15-2013 12:06 PM
Nextera kits HMorrison 454 Pyrosequencing 3 11-01-2011 01:00 PM
TruSeq v3 Cluster Kits with TruSeq SBS kits? rgejman Illumina/Solexa 5 07-13-2011 11:33 AM
nextera niceday Sample Prep / Library Generation 5 09-10-2010 11:31 AM

Old 04-14-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
seqgirl123

Default nextera kits

I am slightly confused with all the different Nextera kits being sold by Illumina. I feel like there are too many, or even within a kit, there are too many boxes.

For my purposes, I'd like to make genomic libraries (50ng starting input) and then have enough to create exome libraries from them. I believe Nextera is replacing their current exome kits on the market with something called Rapid Exome (exons only) and an Expanded Exome kit (exons+UTRs).

Then there is the Nextera DNA Sample Prep Kit and another Nextera Enrichment kit. Illumina's website states to use the Enrichment kit if wanting to proceed with further steps like exome libraries. So can their DNA sample prep kit not create exome libraries? With Illumina TruSeq DNA sample prep, one can create exome libraries after sample prep. Anyone have more information?
seqgirl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:27 AM   #2
kcchan

The Nextera DNA Library Prep kit is similar to the TruSeq DNA kit. It generates standard libraries ready for sequencing or downstream enrichment.

There is a separate kit called the Nextera Exome Enrichment Kit which is a combination of both the Nextera DNA kit and their Exome Enrichment kit. This kit includes everything you need to generate libraries and do the exome enrichment.

The Nextera Rapid Exome Enrichment Kit has the same setup as the older Nextera Exome Enrichment Kit. The difference is that the protocol has been shortened and the hybridization oligos are different.

The TruSeq Exome Enrichment kit is meant to be used in combination with their TruSeq DNA kit. You will need both kits if you wish to use the TruSeq protocol to generate exome libraries.
kcchan is offline   Reply With Quote