Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the PCR purification step between ligation and size selection necessary?

Hello,

This is my first time to construct an Illumina Paired-end library. According to the protocols, there is a PCR purification step after ligation of adapters and prior to size selection step. If I want to perform the gel size-selection before PCR enrichment, is this PCR purification step necessary?

I guess I can directly run the ligation product on a gel for size selection, but both Illumina native kit and NEBNext kit include that PCR purification step?

Best wishes,
    SK

I don't see any reason why it would be necessary or useful.

Comment

The PCR insures that your library inserts are flanked by adapters, a prerequisite for cluster formation and sequencing, and also increases the amount of library. PCR-free protocols have been used successfully, but you should quantify your library by qPCR so that only adapter-ligated molecules are measured.

Comment

Sorry, I didn't mean the PCR step. I mentioned a QIAquick PCR purification step after ligation but before size selection on a gel.

For example, the last step of "Adaptor ligation of dA-Tailed DNA" is "Purify DNA sample on one column and elute in 30uL of sterile dH2) or elution buffer" both in NEBNext kit and Illumina Paired End Library kit.

I want to know if I can directly add ligation product to a 2% gel for size selection without this purification step.
        Originally posted by HESmith View Post
        The PCR insures that your library inserts are flanked by adapters, a prerequisite for cluster formation and sequencing, and also increases the amount of library. PCR-free protocols have been used successfully, but you should quantify your library by qPCR so that only adapter-ligated molecules are measured.

Comment

Originally posted by Heisman View Post
          I don't see any reason why it would be necessary or useful.
          All right, I'm just wondering I missed some critical steps that I don't understand.

Thanks for the advice

Comment

In principle, the amounts of primers and other small stuff in a PCR reaction might overwhelm the capacity of some gels. Some tiny amount of small material might end up co-migrating with the DNA you intend to cut out.

More likely, the PCR reactants will slightly alter the mobility of your DNA, making it not run at the same rate as your ladder. So your size estimate may be off. I guess you could add 10x PCR reaction mix (withOUT polymerase!) to your ladder to give it the same buffer and ionic strength as your PCR reaction...

--
            Phillip
            Last edited by pmiguel; 10-28-2011, 03:41 AM. Reason: You probably do not want to add polymerase to your ladder!

Comment

Thanks Phillip. The reaction mix is super expensive, thus I think I still need this PCR purification.
              Originally posted by pmiguel View Post
              In principle, the amounts of primers and other small stuff in a PCR reaction might overwhelm the capacity of some gels. Some tiny amount of small material might end up co-migrating with the DNA you intend to cut out.

More likely, the PCR reactants will slightly alter the mobility of your DNA, making it not run at the same rate as your ladder. So your size estimate may be off. I guess you could add 10x PCR reaction mix (with polymerase!) to your ladder to give it the same buffer and ionic strength as your PCR reaction...

--
              Phillip

Comment

Sorry, just to be clear--don't add polymerase to your ladder (typo in my initial post that I just corrected)!

Also, the size shift would likely be minor under most circumstances.

--
                Phillip

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                0 responses