No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems sequencing a low diversity library on NextSeq

Hi everyone,

We’ve done several attempts at sequencing a low diversity library on a NextSeq Mid Output v2.5 flow cell, following the recommendations from the provider of the library preparation kit. Unfortunately all samples failed QC for low coverage. We noticed a few things that we haven’t been able to explain:

1. 30% PhiX was added but we only got out ~5%. We have done several attempts at sequencing this kind of library, adding between 20-40% PhiX, but measured PhiX is always considerably lower than added. PhiX from the same batch was used before and after our run(s) with little discrepancy between added and measured PhiX.
    2. The thumbnail image shows normal cluster density but when it comes to clusters that were read there’s a large difference between the top and the bottom of the flow cell with very few clusters read at the bottom.
    3. There is a drop in quality around cycle 20-40.

For the last run the flow cell was loaded with 1.5 pM, cluster density was 133 k/mm2 and the error rate <1%. We have checked for primer dimer contamination in the library pool but did not find this. There was a discrepancy between the concentration measured with Qubit and qPCR (almost twice as high concentration with Qubit), but this was the same for the PhiX and the library pool, so it doesn’t explain low measured PhiX. The input was based on Qubit, which makes overloading of the flow cell unlikely. We’ve been in contact with Illumina tech support but haven’t managed to find an explanation to why things went wrong, and therefore also don’t know what adjustments to make when we resequence.

Any suggestions/ advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks.

What are you libraries size? I believe PhiX is around 500 bp so smaller libraries will bind more efficiency throwing off your PhiX alignment.

Also we ran a couple of mid output kits and noticed an issue with the flow cell where cluster of tiles produced high error rate.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by itstrieu; 09-02-2020, 05:24 AM.

Comment

Thank you for your input. The library size is about 150 bp, so it's smaller. We thought about this as a possible explanation to why PhiX wouldn't align properly. However, some time ago one of my colleagues sequenced libraries prepared with the same kit and did not encounter this problem. I've also asked the provider of the library preparation kit, and they haven't seen this before.

For some reason I can't open your attached picture, so I only get to see a miniature of it, but there seems to be less of a pattern than it was on our flow cell.
      Attached Files

Comment

Have you tried to deliberately underload the flowcell? Other option is to try sequencing on MiSeq, undeniable champ of hard to sequence libraries.

Comment

I don't think it is underloaded (though it would probably be possible to load a bit more). The problem seems to be that the clusters are not read. At the inlet of the flow cell the cluster density is about 170 k/mm2 and PF 92%. It is then gradually decreasing to 122 k/mm2 and 0% PF.

The MiSeq could definitely be an option, but as it has lower capacity we were hoping that we could make it work on NextSeq.

Comment

You implied that you used a specific library prep kit and are following manufacturer's recommendations. Can you share which kit so we could better understand potential library structure issues?

Comment

We are sequencing T cell receptors and the libraries were prepared with the immunoSEQ hTCRB Kit from Adaptive Biotechnologies.

I've now found out that the region where there is a drop in quality (20-40bp) is the index primers. If PhiX had aligned to the same extent as added, I suppose the low diversity in this region wouldn't have been a problem.

Comment

The first 25 cycles or so is the most important for library diversity. Was the Phix made fresh for this run or was it from an aliquot? I sometime refreeze denature Phix for later runs and after awhile, the alignment would be off.

Comment

I'm new to this forum

Comment

I'm not sure if the PhiX was made fresh for this run, as I didn't perform the sequencing myself. However, the problem with less aligned PhiX than added has been a recurrent one and only with our libraries.
                    We have now resequenced the samples and this time it went well. Though we still didn't get out as much PhiX as added we got more than last time, and the PF was fine.

Thank you for all input/ suggestions!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                    • seqadmin
                      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                    0 responses