• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone using Bowtie2 for ChIP-Seq?

Hi,

Is anyone using Bowtie2 for ChIP-Seq?
    Everyone seems to be using Bowtie 1.
    I have no one with whom to discuss the best settings for ChIP-Seq with Bowtie2.

I just align the reads with the default settings for Bowtie2.
    I've already completed several analyses, and the results seem correct, but I have nagging doubts that I'm not doing it properly.

For example, those using Bowtie1 often put the parameter --best.
    Should I be filtering my alignments after running Bowtie2 to keep only best alignments?

Any feedback is appreciated, even if it is to tell me that I should just be using Bowtie1 like everyone else.

Thank you,

Alexis

Hi Alexis,

Typically, we choose whether to use bowtie 1 or 2 depending on the read length of the library. As ChIP-Seq libraries are often sequenced using relatively short reads (around 50bp or less), bowtie 1 is probably more suitable for alignment.

The --best parameter isn't really applicable in bowtie2 because it handles alignments differently to bowtie1. The defaults in bowtie2 are pretty sensible, so if your results look correct then you're probably fine.

Phil

Comment

Great.
      Thanks for your answer tallphil.
      I feel better that I'm not delivering results that are completely false.

I've been using bowtie2 simply because 2 sounds better, and bowtie2 can handle compressed FASTQ files directly.

My reads are paired end 50 bases. The documentation on the bowtie2 website is a bit ambiguous since they recommend bowtie2 for reads longer than 50 bases, and say that bowtie1 may or may not be better for reads shorter than 50 bases. I may be a bit picky but they don't say anything about reads exactly 50 bases long.

I should probably switch to bowtie1 for my 50 bases long paired end ChIP-Seq, since it seems to be much more widely used that bowtie2.

It would be interesting to do a comparison of the 2 programs on 50 bases paired end ChIP-Seq, but since the programs are constantly being updated the comparison would have to be repeated for each update.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
        Yesterday, 07:01 AM
      • seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses