No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RNASeq Biological Replicates

Hi all,

I have RNASeq data for 20 different samples (human cell types and tissues). 10 of these samples are represented by single biological replicate, while, the other 10 samples are represented by >=2 biological replicates. In total I have 40 RNASeq fastq files mapped independently.

Now, the purpose is to compare the samples (cell types) against each other (not between the biological replicates of each sample). So, my question is: how can I deal with the biological replicates that I mapped? I have some options:

1) Take one (random) replicate per sample
    2) Generate read count of mapped reads for all replicates per sample independently and then average the read counts
    3) Merge the mapped reads (using bedtools merge) of the replicates

Any other suggestion?

Don't use any of the options you presented. You absolutely want to use the replicates as replicates to better gauge biological variability. You'll be using one of the normal RNAseq packages (DESeq2, edgeR, limma, etc.), which can handle replicates natively. The problem is actually the comparison of unreplicated samples, for which the results will be questionable.

Comment

Thanks @dpryan.
      But actually my initial purpose of this study is not to study (differentially expressed genes) but to compare the gene profile (list of gene expression values in all the 20 cell types) against the histone modification profile (and some other epigenomic markers) which do not have replicates for these cell types. So, replicates here look useless. Am I right?
      Last edited by Fernas; 05-20-2014, 04:15 AM.

Comment

No, more replicates will still give you a better idea of actual correlation, since you'll be more accurately assessing expression level (and how much histone modification or whatever is actually present). My guess (since you really don't provide enough information for people to know what you're actually attempting) is that you just want to use something like GSEA and look at gene-sets comprised of those genes whose promoters/bodies/whatever show enrichment for your histone modification(s) of interest across groups.

Comment

Many thanks @dpryan for the prompt reply.
          I am sorry if I missed some information. I just wanted to make my question simple. What I want exactly to do is:
          to find the expression profile (vector of 20 values for 20 cell types) at each genomic region (e.g. promoter) and compare it with the epigenomic profile (vector of 20 values of histone modification marker or methylation..etc for 20 cell types) in order to detect those regions that have strong correlation.

So, your point is to keep the replicates. In this case, I will need to use the same epigenomic value (histone modification value or methylation..etc) with the n replicates of the same cell type.

I am not sure if GSEA Can do this task for me?

Comment

I believe it can, yes.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses