Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tophat2: missed 5/27 breast cancer cell line fusions

I missed 2 BT474 and SKBR3 fusions using tophat2. I think I was supposed to find 25/27 of these fusions according to tophat paper. Can anyone help me with why could this be? See below my parameters:

BT474 CPNE1-PI3
    BT474 LAMP1-MCF2L
    SKBR3 CCDC85C-SETD3
    SKBR3 CSE1L-ENSG00000236127
    SKBR3 WDR67-ZNF704

> tophat2 -o $file -r 24 -p $np --fusion-search --keep-fasta-order --bowtie1 --no-coverage-search --mate-std-dev 80 --max-intron-length 100000 --fusion-min-dist 100000 --fusion-anchor-length 13 --segment-mismatches 2 --segment-length 25 --fusion-ignore-chromosomes chrM $index $read1 $read2

> tophat-fusion-post -p $np --num-fusion-reads 1 --num-fusion-pairs 1 --num-fusion-both 2 $index

Hello,

here one may found all the gene fusions known to exist and validated in SKBR3 and BT474 cell lines.

- S. Kangaspeska, S. Hultsch, H. Edgren, D. Nicorici, A. Murumägi, O.P. Kallioniemi, Reanalysis of RNA-sequencing data reveals several additional fusion genes with multiple isoforms, PLOS One, Oct. 2012. http://dx.plos.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0048745
    - H. Edgren, A. Murumagi, S. Kangaspeska, D. Nicorici, V. Hongisto, K. Kleivi, I.H. Rye, S. Nyberg, M. Wolf, A.L. Borresen-Dale, O.P. Kallioniemi, Identification of fusion genes in breast cancer by paired-end RNA-sequencing, Genome Biology, Vol. 12, Jan. 2011. http://genomebiology.com/2011/12/1/R6

For finding all these fusion genes FusionCatcher <http://code.google.com/p/fusioncatcher/> has been used!

Here are the fusions which FusionCatcher finds in SKBR3
    Finder of Somatic Fusion Genes in RNA-seq data. Contribute to ndaniel/fusioncatcher development by creating an account on GitHub.

Here are the fusions which FusionCatcher finds in BT474
    Finder of Somatic Fusion Genes in RNA-seq data. Contribute to ndaniel/fusioncatcher development by creating an account on GitHub.

Have you tried do find gene fusion using FusionCatcher?

Daniel

Originally posted by angerusso View Post
    I missed 2 BT474 and SKBR3 fusions using tophat2. I think I was supposed to find 25/27 of these fusions according to tophat paper. Can anyone help me with why could this be? See below my parameters:

BT474 CPNE1-PI3
    BT474 LAMP1-MCF2L
    SKBR3 CCDC85C-SETD3
    SKBR3 CSE1L-ENSG00000236127
    SKBR3 WDR67-ZNF704

> tophat2 -o $file -r 24 -p $np --fusion-search --keep-fasta-order --bowtie1 --no-coverage-search --mate-std-dev 80 --max-intron-length 100000 --fusion-min-dist 100000 --fusion-anchor-length 13 --segment-mismatches 2 --segment-length 25 --fusion-ignore-chromosomes chrM $index $read1 $read2

> tophat-fusion-post -p $np --num-fusion-reads 1 --num-fusion-pairs 1 --num-fusion-both 2 $index

Comment

Missing 4 fusions using tophat2

Hi Daniel,

It seems you mis understood my question. the question was how to modify tophat2 or tophat-fusion-post parameters to find the 4 missing fusions which were found using previous versions of tophat as reported in Kim and Salzberg publication?

Thanks, Angel

Comment

I am sorry. I was confused about your question "Can anyone help me with why could this be?".

Also I am confused to which 27 fusions are you referring to? The paper which you are referring to (that is Kim et al. "Tophat-fusion: An algorithm for discovery of novel fusion genes", Genome Biology 2011) has published over 1,395 fusion genes only in SKBR3 cell line (see: http://genomebiology.com/content/sup...2-8-r72-s9.txt )!!!!

Are you using exactly the same version of:
        1) Tophat-fusion, and
        2) genome, and
        3) annotation
        like in the paper which you mentioned?

Comment

Hi Daniel,

I am referring to the 27 fusions that are mentioned to be known and/or validated by RT-PCR as mentioned in the paper.

I didn't use the same version of software as in the paper. I used the following and wondering why I am missing the 4 fusions out of 27 that I am supposed to get using the exact same parameters are mentioned in the paper:

tophat/2.0.8
          samtools/0.1.19
          bowtie1 and bowtie/0.12.9
          blast/2.2.27+

Thanks.

Comment

You wrote:
            ================================
            I am referring to the 27 fusions that are mentioned to be known and/or validated by RT-PCR as mentioned in the paper.

If before I was confused now I am completely lost. To which fusion 27 genes are you referring? What Table? A table number or figure number would help greatly here!

I found the word "PCR" only once in the whole article (Kim et al, Tophat-fusion) in this sentence "Next, we ran all of FusionSeq’s filters except two PCR filter and annotation consistency filter) that would otherwise eliminate two of the true fusions" which has nothing to do with the validation of gene fusions. Also the authors of the same article have not done any validation using RT-PCR on their newly found fusion genes.

You wrote:
            I didn't use the same version of software as in the paper. I used the following and wondering why I am missing the 4 fusions out of 27 that I am supposed to get using the exact same parameters are mentioned in the paper.

Not using the exact version of annotation database might explain why you do not find all the gene fusions from the article. From my experience with FusionCatcher and SOAPfuse some gene fusions can be found only using a very specific version of annotation database (like Ensembl in the case or the article).

You missed the fusion CSE1L-ENSG00000236127 in SKBR3 cells. In the same article is written about this fusion "one known fusion, CSE1L-ENSG00000236127, was not considered because ENSG00000236127 has been removed from the recent Ensembl database". From what I understand you are using a newer version of Ensembl database and this explains why you cannot find the CSE1L-ENSG00000236127.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses